Author Topic: warning if trying to delete an image with sidecar .wav file  (Read 6566 times)

Offline VictorBoyko

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
warning if trying to delete an image with sidecar .wav file
« on: January 30, 2007, 03:51:58 PM »
i've written you an email with that AGES ago!
please implement this as an option.

we take a serie of 8-10 pics of one subject then create a sound comment which most likely we will do to our last image.
then if that last image is, say, misfocused, we delete it without having any idea that there's also a .wav file to it and we lose our comment!
a small icon is simply inappropriate, it is too easy to miss.

simple warning "you're trying to delete a file with a sound comment, what to do? delete both / delete only jpeg and keep wav / cancel)
or even an option in prefs like "when deleting a file with sound comment - delete both / delete only jpeg / show warning every time)

please.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: warning if trying to delete an image with sidecar .wav file
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 05:02:52 PM »
i've written you an email with that AGES ago!

Really?  I don't recall having any communication from you before today.

Quote from: VictorBoyko
please implement this as an option.

we take a serie of 8-10 pics of one subject then create a sound comment which most likely we will do to our last image.
then if that last image is, say, misfocused, we delete it without having any idea that there's also a .wav file to it and we lose our comment!
a small icon is simply inappropriate, it is too easy to miss.

simple warning "you're trying to delete a file with a sound comment, what to do? delete both / delete only jpeg and keep wav / cancel)
or even an option in prefs like "when deleting a file with sound comment - delete both / delete only jpeg / show warning every time)

The button labels are a little wordy and cannot be done with a generic message box dialog.

How about this:

First we have a preference in the Files tab of the Preferences dialog like so:

When deleting photos that have sound annotations: (and then three choices in a popup menu)
                    Always delete both the photo and the sound file
                    Delete only the photo
                    Ask me what to do

So if you choose "Ask me what to do" then when you try to delete a photo with a sound, then the following dialog will appear:

"The photo you're deleting has a sound annotation.  Would you like to keep the sound file?"
                                               [  Yes  ]  [  No  ]  [  Cancel  ]

If you answer yes, your sound file will remain and the photo will be deleted.
If you answer no, both files will be deleted.
If you Cancel, neither file will be deleted.

Does that sound fair?

Note that if you keep the sound file, it will be orphaned since its filename no longer matches any other existing filename.  But it will still be there and you can rename it to match another file.

-Kirk

Offline VictorBoyko

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 05:32:14 PM »
kirk, that sounds very fair!
i think to be ideal there should be a fourth option like "delete the jpeg and move the wav to desktop" (so it will be less likely to be forgotten and finally lost as orphaned) but i personally will be very happy if you implement it as you said.
thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 06:01:51 PM »
kirk, that sounds very fair!
i think to be ideal there should be a fourth option like "delete the jpeg and move the wav to desktop" (so it will be less likely to be forgotten and finally lost as orphaned) but i personally will be very happy if you implement it as you said.
thanks!

In 4.5 unassociated files show up as proxy icons.  You can copy, rename, and delete them from within the contact sheet.

So your unassociated WAV file would show up again whenever the contact sheet is rescanned.

-Kirk

Offline VictorBoyko

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 03:42:47 AM »
oh, that's great.
is it applicable to all unassosiated files (meaning for example text comments) or just to wavs?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 06:45:37 AM »
oh, that's great.
is it applicable to all unassosiated files (meaning for example text comments) or just to wavs?

All files that Photo Mechanic does not know about will show up with a proxy icon.

-Kirk