Author Topic: Problem geocoding, please help  (Read 4191 times)

Offline ciconia

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem geocoding, please help
« on: October 19, 2015, 11:58:48 AM »
Hello,

I am running PhotoMechanic 4.6.9 on a PC, Windows 7. Since years I have been geocoding my photographs using gpx files within PhotoMechanic. This always worked perfectly. Today I discovered that ALL my photographs dont show any more a map or satellite Image when using "Show map ..." in PhotoMechanic, but only a blank Background in the map field (see attached Screen shot). However, the coordinates are shown correctly in the EXIF as well as in the "Show map"-Dialog. I thought something might have gone wrong with my files, but everything works fine in GeoSetter.

Do you have an idea how I can solve this problem?

Thanks in advance
Best regards
Holger Schulz

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Problem geocoding, please help
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
Hallo Holger,

I think the problem might be with googlemaps and not with PhotoMechanic per se as I have seen similar reports elsewhere. Also, when I gave in some gps coordinates myself in google maps, it didn't seem to to work either (I haven't tested this thoroughly though). If it is indeed a google problem, I'm not sure if it can be solved :(
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline ciconia

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 04:27:02 PM »
Thank you, Hayo, for your comment. But I dont really think that the Problem is with Google maps. I have tested GoogleMaps and GoogleEarth, and both have full functionality. Also the GeoSetter which is working with GoogleMaps, has shown my coordinates on street maps or satellite Images.
Regards Holger

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 06:19:02 PM »
We've done some research into this issue and it turns out that Google Maps no longer supports the old API we were using in the 4.6.x versions of Photo Mechanic.

It may be possible to fix the problem because the HTML that produces the map is hosted on our server, but if the problem requires making a new release of PM 4.6.x then we won't be able to solve the problem since we no longer maintain or build the PM 4.6.x version.

We'll be discussing this issue soon at our next developer meeting.  I'll let you know what we decide.

Upgrading to PM5 would restore your map functionality immediately, if you want to upgrade.

-Kirk

Offline ciconia

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 12:09:04 AM »
Thank you, Kirk, for the information.

When I started my Photo Mechanic this morning, everything was perfect. Maps and satellite Images are shown in the geocoding dialogs. Either you have changed something in the HTML or the Problem was with GoogleMaps.

I would have updated long ago but I was worried because I was afraid the new version would be very different including the data base etc, and thus I decided to stick to the Version I know. May be I should try again :-)

Best regards
Holger

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »
Holger,

When I started my Photo Mechanic this morning, everything was perfect. Maps and satellite Images are shown in the geocoding dialogs. Either you have changed something in the HTML or the Problem was with GoogleMaps.

I would have updated long ago but I was worried because I was afraid the new version would be very different including the data base etc, and thus I decided to stick to the Version I know. May be I should try again :-)

We do our best to make the new versions of PM compatible with the old versions.  As for a database, there is no database in PM 4.6.x, nor is there in PM 5.  Your images contain their metadata (or in the case of RAW files and sidecar files, the metadata is stored in XMP sidecar files.)

The transition from PM 4.6.x to PM 5 was a smooth one.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 01:25:28 PM »

It looks as if Google has changed something again which made things work as before. This is at least what was concluded in the other forum I am watching.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the upgrade. As Kirk mentioned upgrading is smooth, and you get tons of nice feature updates!
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl