Author Topic: color labels and star ratings not seen in adobe lightroom  (Read 7351 times)

Offline eja

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
color labels and star ratings not seen in adobe lightroom
« on: June 28, 2015, 02:57:49 PM »
I know this topic has been discussed before, but I"m still having trouble with it.  I'm using pm 4.6.9 and lightroom 4.2.  and os 10.9.5. 

I can't get lightroom to recognize my star ratings and color labels.  I"ve set up lightroom using the settings found in the help file under, "work flow", "PM Preferences Adobe".  This did not seem to work.  I've included screen shots of my settings

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:01:39 PM by eja »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: color labels and star ratings not seen in adobe lightroom
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 11:51:47 PM »
I know this topic has been discussed before, but I"m still having trouble with it.  I'm using pm 4.6.9 and lightroom 4.2.  and os 10.9.5. 

I can't get lightroom to recognize my star ratings and color labels.  I"ve set up lightroom using the settings found in the help file under, "work flow", "PM Preferences Adobe".  This did not seem to work.  I've included screen shots of my settings

What file types are you working with?

-Kirk

Offline eja

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 04:29:19 PM »
Nef files from a nikon d70 and d70s

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 05:04:32 PM »
Nef files from a nikon d70 and d70s

Do you currently have embedded XMP in your NEFs?  If so, this can cause problems.  I see that you have PM set to use sidecar XMP files only but I thought I should mention this as a possible problem.

Are you telling LR to sync metadata after you make changes in PM?

-Kirk

Offline eja

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 05:43:24 AM »
I don't know how to tell if I already have embedded meta data in the nef files.  Also, I simply used the help file procedures to do the set up in PM.   When I did attempt to sync a couple of the files in lightroom it removed my editing from the file and did not import the color label or star ratings.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 08:54:20 AM »
I don't know how to tell if I already have embedded meta data in the nef files.  Also, I simply used the help file procedures to do the set up in PM.   When I did attempt to sync a couple of the files in lightroom it removed my editing from the file and did not import the color label or star ratings.

Do you have LR set up to always update the XMP sidecar files when you make changes in LR?  If not then PM will be working with the existing metadata contained within the XMP sidecar files.

-Kirk

Tony Support

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 09:20:36 AM »
Hello,

When working with both Photo Mechanic and Lightroom there are three major settings that you have to change in order to make sure that both programs are playing nice with each other.

1. Make sure that both applications are writing the data to XMP sidecar files.
- Photo Mechanic will do this by default, however Lightroom will not.
- Go into Lightroom > Catalog settings > Metadata
- Make sure that there is a check in the box next to Automatically write changes to XMP.

2. Make sure that the color labeling system is the same on both applications.
- Go into Photo Mechanic > Preferences > General.
- Under Color classes there will be a lightning bolt.
- Click on it and select Lightroom

3. When importing photos into Lightroom make sure that you select the option at the top to ADD and not MOVE, or COPY.
- This will ensure that both Photo Mechanic and Lightroom are working with the same files.
- When performing this action Lightroom will display all of the images that you have in the directory but only the images that you selected for edit in Photo Mechanic will be highlighted for import in Lightroom.
- You can select additional images to import into Lightroom by highlighting them in this import dialog.

4. Any images that you already have in Lightroom and you want to pull the changes made in Photo Mechanic you will have to highlight them go to Metadata > Read Metadata from file. To mass update your images select multiple ones by highlighting them or update all by pressing CTRL+A in Windows or Command+A in Mac.

Please let me know if you need any additional assistance.

--
Tony Novelo
Technical Support
Camera Bits, Inc.
503-547-2888
camerabits.com
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:47:32 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline eja

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 12:41:39 PM »
First, thanks all for the help.  The main problem it appears that I recently reinstalled my copy of Lightroom and had not ensured that it was writing to the XMP sidecar file.  Once I fixed that everything is working great.