Author Topic: copyright notice and copyright status?  (Read 6975 times)

Offline Pompo

• View Profile
    • Alfonso Bresciani
copyright notice and copyright status?
« on: July 05, 2015, 09:47:57 PM »
How can I apply with my custom IPTC pad a copyright notice with my name and year, but yet leave the copyright status untouched and my image when exported without the © on its border.

In Photoshop the two are separates and in PM there seems to be only one field for both (he copyright field) . There should be one field for the copyright status and one for the copyright notice.

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: copyright notice and copyright status?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 08:24:38 AM »
Hi there,

You may find this information helpful regarding the various copyright and credit fields available in Photo Mechanic.
http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=IPTC_map

I'm not sure about the use of a "copyright status" but I do know that Photoshop adds a "Copyright URL" field that is generally not used by other programs. Photo Mechanic does indeed allow you to write this field as well.

I wonder if Photoshop uses the "Credit" or "Source" fields as "copyright status" ?   You might experiment to see if putting info in those fields populates that in PS.

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 08:57:41 AM »
If text exists in the Copyright field, then Photoshop should show it as copyrighted in its Copyright Status.

-Kirk

Offline Pompo

• View Profile
    • Alfonso Bresciani
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 09:09:17 AM »
It should but it doesn't. Photoshop even lets you select from the status "Copyrighted" and leaving the Copyright Notice field blank.

I need to be able to apply a copyright notice for each of my clients but since they distribute the images they do not want the © on the images up on top and/or the Copyrighted status attached to them. Why can't we have the option to have the two separated and independent from each other? Maybe this can be addressed in future updates?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
It should but it doesn't. Photoshop even lets you select from the status "Copyrighted" and leaving the Copyright Notice field blank.

You're right.  I just checked the xmp metadata after changing the Copyright Status popup menu to its three choices and Photoshop now writes out an xmpRights tag when the status is set to Copyrighted and Public Domain, and omits the tag when the status is set to Unknown.

I need to be able to apply a copyright notice for each of my clients but since they distribute the images they do not want the © on the images up on top and/or the Copyrighted status attached to them. Why can't we have the option to have the two separated and independent from each other? Maybe this can be addressed in future updates?

If I understand you correctly, since PM doesn't write out or modify that field, the © will never appear on images you caption in Photo Mechanic and therefore, PM currently meets your needs.  Or do I misunderstand?

-Kirk

Offline Pompo

• View Profile
    • Alfonso Bresciani
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 09:42:49 AM »

You're right.  I just checked the xmp metadata after changing the Copyright Status popup menu to its three choices and Photoshop now writes out an xmpRights tag when the status is set to Copyrighted and Public Domain, and omits the tag when the status is set to Unknown.

If I understand you correctly, since PM doesn't write out or modify that field, the © will never appear on images you caption in Photo Mechanic and therefore, PM currently meets your needs.  Or do I misunderstand?

-Kirk

it doesn't currently meets my needs because if I choose in PM to add a copyright notice I have to check the option to the left of the field and doing that adds also the copyright status and symbol © to the file which shows up when opening the file in photoshop on the image frame. We should have two fields:

1st field with a pull down menu for the copyright status: Unknown, Copyrighted, Public Domain

2nd field) for the copyright notice @2015 Alfonso Bresciani

The two fields should be completely independent from each other. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 10:51:27 AM »
I just checked the code.  If the Copyright field is applied and it is non-empty, then the xmpRights:Marked will be set to true and written to the metadata.

Saying that there is no copyright status or that it is public domain when there is a copyright listed in the Copyright text field is not something we will likely support.

I was in error earlier when I said that PM doesn't write xmpRights:Marked to XMP metadata.

-Kirk

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 11:12:36 AM »
As a workaround, you could automatically apply a different IPTC Stationery Pad upon transfer to your clients.  That could strip the Copyright field on the images that get transferred, but leave the info on your own copies.  If you wanted to retain some info in the transferred versions, you could add the info to a credit field only for the transferred version as well.  Hopefully this could be an option.

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits