Author Topic: PM freezing while accessing Code Replacements  (Read 5211 times)

Offline Sc00ter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM freezing while accessing Code Replacements
« on: June 29, 2015, 08:53:21 AM »
Good Morning,

I am using Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16438 (e61be25) on my Intel based mac running 10.10.3.

A couple days into a big edit, PM suddenly starting hanging and never recovered while accessing code replacements.  Sorry I don't have any screen shots to provide since PM persisted regardless which app was brought to the front and had a continuous spinning wheel.

Some times I would get the delimiter plus a number or two, other times just typing the delimiter in the captions field was enough to lock things up.

Reinstalled same version from a new download and that worked for about an hour.  Reinstalled the code replacement file, checked it for any bizarre characters that might prove problematic.  Of possible related interest is I'm using the same code replacement file without athlete numbers as autocomplete.

Can I get some instructions on how to turn on debugging?

Cheers,

Scott

PS. Edited to add screenshot of the most recent freeze.  Using autocomplete in the caption field.  The screenshot was right after the freeze.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:04:08 AM by Sc00ter »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM freezing while accessing Code Replacements
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 09:05:24 AM »
Scott,

I am using Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16438 (e61be25) on my Intel based mac running 10.10.3.

A couple days into a big edit, PM suddenly starting hanging and never recovered while accessing code replacements.  Sorry I don't have any screen shots to provide since PM persisted regardless which app was brought to the front and had a continuous spinning wheel.

Some times I would get the delimiter plus a number or two, other times just typing the delimiter in the captions field was enough to lock things up.

Reinstalled same version from a new download and that worked for about an hour.  Reinstalled the code replacement file, checked it for any bizarre characters that might prove problematic.  Of possible related interest is I'm using the same code replacement file without athlete numbers as autocomplete.

Can you tell me how I would reproduce the problem via the use of your Code Replacement file?

Can I get some instructions on how to turn on debugging?

Logging code for a particular feature must already be present in order to turn it on.  There is no logging in Code Replacement at this time so it cannot be turned on.

I'd like to see your PM log though.  Go to the Help menu and choose the "Reveal Support Data..." command.  Post the zipped log here.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Sc00ter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 09:26:06 AM »
Sure thing.

Load the attached code replacement file and turn on autocomplete and reference the attached autocomplete file.  Select and image, navigate to IPTC (i) and start typing Cross in the Captions field.

Sorry the screenshot turned out enlarged.  Not sure about that one but will look into it later.

scott

Offline Sc00ter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:27:31 AM »
And if it's any insight, I've been running without Auto Complete on for the last ten minutes with perfect success.  Hopefully I haven't jinxed myself.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:36:08 AM »
Scott,

And if it's any insight, I've been running without Auto Complete on for the last ten minutes with perfect success.  Hopefully I haven't jinxed myself.

If you turn Autocomplete on again does the problem return?

-Kirk

Offline Sc00ter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 11:36:51 AM »
Autocomplete back on and the problem is back.  Typing the word CrossFit (Just C actually) seems to hang PM in a lookup loop or something.

I'll move to a different computer next and report back.

s.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 11:40:24 AM »
Scott,

Autocomplete back on and the problem is back.  Typing the word CrossFit (Just C actually) seems to hang PM in a lookup loop or something.

I'll move to a different computer next and report back.

Can you also post a screen shot of your Autocomplete settings?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Sc00ter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 11:58:05 AM »
Different computer, same results.  There are several lines in the autocomplete file that contain the work CrossFit and I suspect this is causing at least some of the issue.

Intel based mac 10.9.5

PM Version 5.0, build 16438 (e61be25)

Offline Sc00ter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 12:06:41 PM »
Changed autocomplete to just using the text file and it still hangs.

Attached a screen shot just in case you see something that I'm missing.

Thank you,

scott

Offline Sc00ter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 12:29:11 PM »
Upon closer inspection, there are 24 lines with the word crossfit in it.  Maybe is just too many options for PM to display?

Offline Sc00ter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 12:54:21 PM »
Found the offender!

The umlauts in CrossFit Jääkarhu are what's causing PM to freeze.  When changed to Jaakarhu without any special characters, it works as designed.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 01:13:14 PM »
Found the offender!

The umlauts in CrossFit Jääkarhu are what's causing PM to freeze.  When changed to Jaakarhu without any special characters, it works as designed.

Thanks for the sleuthing.  I'll see if I can reproduce the hang locally while running under the Debugger.

-Kirk

Offline Sc00ter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 01:27:22 PM »
Well, I feel that the ACTUAL problem was a loose nut on my keyboard.

Upon further investigation, my text editor was not saving the autocomplete file as UTF-8.  After forcing the issue, PM works perfectly, as usual, even with umlauts.  My hats off to you guys for such a wonderful program that makes my life SO much easier.  Sorry for the wild goose chase.  :-[