Author Topic: Camera Raw and Photo Mechanic Interface  (Read 3167 times)

Offline MarkWitte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Camera Raw and Photo Mechanic Interface
« on: June 29, 2015, 07:16:36 PM »
Hi Guys,

I use Photo Mechanic as I shoot a lot of sports and I was wanting to see if the interface between Camera Raw 9.1 and Photo Mechanic are able to pick up changes.

I know that it picks up the crop change however if I do a slight adjustment it doesn't show up on photo mechanic.

For example if I change the White Balance from "As shot" to say "Daylight" then go done it does not show the changes in Photo Mechanic. Is there a way in all changes I make in Camera Raw change in Photo Mechanic as well

Cheers

Mark. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Camera Raw and Photo Mechanic Interface
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 09:52:55 PM »
Mark,

I use Photo Mechanic as I shoot a lot of sports and I was wanting to see if the interface between Camera Raw 9.1 and Photo Mechanic are able to pick up changes.

I know that it picks up the crop change however if I do a slight adjustment it doesn't show up on photo mechanic.

For example if I change the White Balance from "As shot" to say "Daylight" then go done it does not show the changes in Photo Mechanic. Is there a way in all changes I make in Camera Raw change in Photo Mechanic as well

Adobe does not update the embedded previews in camera-produced RAW files.  If you convert your RAW files to DNG files, Adobe's tools will update the embedded preview in the DNG files and the results will show up in PM.  There is a command in the Tools menu that will convert your RAW files to DNG if you decide to go with the DNG format.

-Kirk

Offline MarkWitte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 10:18:05 PM »
Thanks Kirk,

Is this the same if I shoot in Jpeg?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 08:58:20 AM »
Mark,

If you shoot JPEG then you likely won't be using ACR with them will you?  ACR can make some adjustments to JPEGs but not with nearly the same range that a RAW file will provide.

If you make changes to a JPEG and save it, the image will look the same back in PM.

-Kirk

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 10:20:59 AM »
Mark,

If you shoot JPEG then you likely won't be using ACR with them will you?  ACR can make some adjustments to JPEGs but not with nearly the same range that a RAW file will provide.

If you make changes to a JPEG and save it, the image will look the same back in PM.

-Kirk

Exactly! I use ACR with my jpegs and the only difference I see is the crop I did in ACR.