Author Topic: Req: IPTC import label/value pairs  (Read 4313 times)

Offline davidharpe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Req: IPTC import label/value pairs
« on: January 30, 2007, 06:32:21 PM »
I love being able to import lists of categories, supplemental categories, etc.  But when captioning to AP standards, you have to remember what all of the various supplimental category codes mean (or more often look them up on a cheat sheet).  For example, the value DIP refers to "International Relations", which is not very intuitive.

What would be really handy is if you could import a list of label/value pairs instead of just values, then use the labels in the selection pulldown. 

For example, "DIP<tab>Intl Relations"  in the file would display as "Intl Relations" in the pulldown, but the value actually inserted in the header would be DIP.  For backwards compatibility, lines with no tab character are assumed to be value-only.

What I'm describing is exactly how it works in HTML with name/value pairs in forms if you're familiar with that setup.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Req: IPTC import label/value pairs
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 07:00:58 PM »
I love being able to import lists of categories, supplemental categories, etc.  But when captioning to AP standards, you have to remember what all of the various supplimental category codes mean (or more often look them up on a cheat sheet).  For example, the value DIP refers to "International Relations", which is not very intuitive.

What would be really handy is if you could import a list of label/value pairs instead of just values, then use the labels in the selection pulldown. 

For example, "DIP<tab>Intl Relations"  in the file would display as "Intl Relations" in the pulldown, but the value actually inserted in the header would be DIP.  For backwards compatibility, lines with no tab character are assumed to be value-only.

What I'm describing is exactly how it works in HTML with name/value pairs in forms if you're familiar with that setup.

That's a neat idea.  I'll run it by the rest of the team.  If implemented, it will have to wait until after version 4.5 is released before we can work on it.

-Kirk