Author Topic: Important for Mac Users: OS X El Capitan Beta not yet supported  (Read 21086 times)

Offline ohrbi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Important for Mac Users: OS X El Capitan Beta not yet supported
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 06:04:42 PM »
Couldn't find anything concerning that ...

Offline ohrbi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 06:11:40 PM »
Interesting: drag from Finder into Mail works, but drag from PathFinder into Mail does not ...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 06:18:55 PM »
Interesting: drag from Finder into Mail works, but drag from PathFinder into Mail does not ...

Hmm.  Maybe Apple changed the way drag and drop works and Mail only works with apps that have adopted the new way of programming drag and drop features.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 04:15:39 AM »
Kevin,

Any updates with El Capitan set to release tomorrow?

We always suggest waiting for at least two point releases before upgrading any OS.  To my knowledge we have done no further testing.  I'll check with the QA guys.

-Kirk

Hi, Kirk
I know what you say about the two point releases, but I haven't upgraded to Yosemite (still on version 10.9.5) and we have heard so many excelent reviews of OS X that we are really tempted...
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline drjay32

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Luminescence of Nature Photograpy
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 05:36:58 AM »
I tested it here, too. Files copy to other destinations in the Finder just fine. Those files also drag/drop properly into Mail from a folder.
Not a big deal; just something to be aware of for now.

-Jason

Yes, everything correct when copying to Finder.

Sounds like a problem in Mac OS X 10.11's Mail application.  PM is simply delivering a list of paths to the files in the drag object.  It doesn't do anything different for the Finder vs. the Mail application.

-Kirk
Jason P. Odell
Photographer and author in Colorado, USA
www.luminescentphoto.com

Offline djjcarroll

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 08:59:04 AM »
October 10, 2015

1. I downloaded OS X 10.11 (15A284) a few days ago - El Capitan 

2. Prior to that download (i.e. using Mavericks 10.9) I have been finding Photo Mechanic 5 awful slow compared to many of the previous PM versions (ex. Ver 4).

3. However, today with El Capitan running, while I am in thumbnail mode and then selecting an image to see full screen I have experienced 5 crashes out of Photo Mechanic (Ver 5. build 16765 (2682973). These are not crashes that result in my whole unit going down.

4. Another issue is that I find the rendering of my raw files (in full screen mode) very slow compared again to previous PM versions. My raw files are general 32 MB in size.

5. Still another issue is the tagging of an image (in full screen mode), I frequently get the colourful circle chugging away for some time before I can move on to my next image to view in full screen mode.

6. FYI I am using a Mac Pro Tower unit - 16 GB ram - ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB Graphic card

Hope you folks can help me out.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 10:03:02 AM »
October 10, 2015

1. I downloaded OS X 10.11 (15A284) a few days ago - El Capitan 

2. Prior to that download (i.e. using Mavericks 10.9) I have been finding Photo Mechanic 5 awful slow compared to many of the previous PM versions (ex. Ver 4).

3. However, today with El Capitan running, while I am in thumbnail mode and then selecting an image to see full screen I have experienced 5 crashes out of Photo Mechanic (Ver 5. build 16765 (2682973). These are not crashes that result in my whole unit going down.

4. Another issue is that I find the rendering of my raw files (in full screen mode) very slow compared again to previous PM versions. My raw files are general 32 MB in size.

5. Still another issue is the tagging of an image (in full screen mode), I frequently get the colourful circle chugging away for some time before I can move on to my next image to view in full screen mode.

6. FYI I am using a Mac Pro Tower unit - 16 GB ram - ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB Graphic card

Hope you folks can help me out.

I can try, but for this sort of problem that requires troubleshooting, you're much better off calling our support folks via telephone.  Please post your PM log file here.  Help->Reveal Support Data...  Then attach the resulting zipped PM log file in your reply.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline djjcarroll

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 12:19:05 PM »
OK Kirk:

I went to the Camera Bit web site and under support I filled in the data and sent the PM Log.  Hopefully this is what you meant me to do.

I am still experiencing PM crashes, can't do much work that way. I do not want to upload 400 raw files to Lightroom especially now with the technical issues they are having.

Don J J C

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 01:21:10 PM »
Don,

I went to the Camera Bit web site and under support I filled in the data and sent the PM Log.  Hopefully this is what you meant me to do.

Unfortunately no.  I wanted you to post the file here.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline djjcarroll

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 05:13:39 PM »
Sorry about that Kirk, Ok here is the PM log file.

I appreciate you getting back to me on a Friday night.

Don J J C

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 12:25:16 AM »
Don,

Sorry about that Kirk, Ok here is the PM log file.

I appreciate you getting back to me on a Friday night.

It looks like PM is running out of memory.  How much memory are you giving to the Memory Cache in Photo Mechanic?  More isn't always better.  If you have it set to over 512MB, set it to 512MB or lower.

-Kirk

Offline SCFotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015, 04:03:40 AM »
Found a issue when sending images by email for Photo Mechanic, this only work if you check the review in email application box. If this box is not check a blank email is sent with no image attached, which I found out to my cost.

Offline djjcarroll

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015, 02:59:03 PM »
Kirk, thanks for the reply.   OK, I had been using 1024 MB and after your reply I changed it to 512 MB. I used PM all afternoon doing the same things that caused my earlier difficulties and only had one incident, so I guess your suggestions work, at least to prevent multiple PM crashes.

Re the Caching Dialog box, there is a box called "Disk Cache Size". What Value should I put her to increase performance, I am currently using 2000MB.

DJJC

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2015, 04:30:28 PM »
Don,

Kirk, thanks for the reply.   OK, I had been using 1024 MB and after your reply I changed it to 512 MB. I used PM all afternoon doing the same things that caused my earlier difficulties and only had one incident, so I guess your suggestions work, at least to prevent multiple PM crashes.

Re the Caching Dialog box, there is a box called "Disk Cache Size". What Value should I put her to increase performance, I am currently using 2000MB.

The disk cache size can really be any size you like.  Having a larger disk cache size will increase performance when you view images that you have viewed before.  If you tend to view one set of images and never view them again then a smaller size is best.  If you revisit a number of images over and over again, then increasing the disk cache size will help quite a bit.

-Kirk