Author Topic: Editing RAWs and JPGs at same time. JPGs do not open in Photoshop.  (Read 2756 times)

Offline ba1212

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi

I'm on version 5 build 16438 of Photo Mechanic on Windows 7 64 bit.

I'm having an issue opening multiple files to edit, some of which are JPG and some are RAW. In previous versions JPGs would be loaded in Photoshop, then Adobe Camera RAW would display to process the RAWs. When that's done all images selected for editing would be open in Photoshop. In the latest build I'm finding the JPGs don't always open in Photoshop, only the RAWs.

BTW these aren't RAW + JPG, the JPGs are completely different images. It's also intermittent, sometimes the JPGs open, sometimes they don't.

I'm testing by opening seven RAW images and one JPG.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks
Ben

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Editing RAWs and JPGs at same time. JPGs do not open in Photoshop.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 04:09:17 PM »
Ben,

I'm on version 5 build 16438 of Photo Mechanic on Windows 7 64 bit.

I'm having an issue opening multiple files to edit, some of which are JPG and some are RAW. In previous versions JPGs would be loaded in Photoshop, then Adobe Camera RAW would display to process the RAWs. When that's done all images selected for editing would be open in Photoshop. In the latest build I'm finding the JPGs don't always open in Photoshop, only the RAWs.

BTW these aren't RAW + JPG, the JPGs are completely different images. It's also intermittent, sometimes the JPGs open, sometimes they don't.

I'm testing by opening seven RAW images and one JPG.

Is this a known issue?

No.  PM is going to launch photos the same way each time you edit.  If it works sometimes and not others, the problem may be with Photoshop itself.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 10:43:37 PM »
Are you perhaps trying to open raw files and JPEG files at the same time? That won't work well as photoshop will not open them together as it needs to handle the raw files separate from the jpgs...
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 09:21:45 AM »
Hayo,

Are you perhaps trying to open raw files and JPEG files at the same time? That won't work well as photoshop will not open them together as it needs to handle the raw files separate from the jpgs...

One can set the ACR plugin to open JPEGs as well if one wants.  Perhaps the original poster used to have that setting set to open JPEGs in ACR and it has changed?

-Kirk

Offline ba1212

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 02:43:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I've just tested this thoroughly and there is definitely an intermittent problem, but only when using Photo Mechanic to open files in Photoshop. I know it's worked in the past as I've been using Photo Mechanic regularly for quite a few years.

I'll try to explain.

I sometimes have RAW and JPGs in the same folder (taken on different cameras) which I open in batches for editing. This has worked well in the past but I've just tested the last three builds of Photo Mechanic and all exhibit the problem I described. I also tested by opening files from both Windows Explorer and Adobe Bridge to be sure it wasn't a Photoshop problem, and used two different computers. Another variation on the test was to keep Photoshop open and closed and the problem seems worse when it's not already open.

I ran each test 20 times to be thorough and am now convinced of the problem, whether it's a bug or just a compatibility issue between Photo Mechanic and the latest Photoshop version. Bascially if Adobe Bridge and Windows Explorer can open these files without fail, I have to suggest this is a problem with Photo Mechanic (and a risk as it's unreliable).

Attached is a spreadsheet with test results which I've summarised below. I'm opening batches of 8 images for editing (7 RAW and 1 JPG).

Summary of test results

• Opening directly from Windows Explorer: 40 tests, 0 failures
  • Opening from Adobe Bridge: 20 tests, 0 failures
  • Opening from Photo Mechanic with Photoshop running in background (build 16299): 20 tests, 3 failures
  • Opening from Photo Mechanic with Photoshop initially closed (build 16299): 20 tests, 12 failures
  • Opening from Photo Mechanic with Photoshop running in background (build 16268): 20 tests, 3 failures
  • Opening from Photo Mechanic with Photoshop initially closed (build 16268): 20 tests, 9 failures
I appreciate the comments but it seems this problem is real, at least for me. Kirk - could you possibly try to reproduce it? I'm running Windows 7 and Photoshop CC 2014 64 bit.

Thanks again.
Ben

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 11:55:59 AM »
Ben,

Our QA/Support team was unable to reproduce your problem.  All images consistently open up in Photoshop or show up in the ACR plugin.  At this point I suggest you contact our support folks for troubleshooting assistance at +1 503-547-2888

-Kirk