Author Topic: Compatibility with Affinity Photo  (Read 12974 times)

Offline robk47

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Compatibility with Affinity Photo
« on: July 13, 2015, 02:17:02 PM »
Any plans to allow PM to read Affinity Photo images? Right now, I get a blank space where my Affinity Photo is, so I assume PM does not recognize the app. Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Compatibility with Affinity Photo
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 03:44:25 PM »
Rob,

Any plans to allow PM to read Affinity Photo images? Right now, I get a blank space where my Affinity Photo is, so I assume PM does not recognize the app. Thanks!

Blank space?  You mean the image shows up as a proxy icon?

I had not heard of Affinity Photo prior to your message.  We do not support their image format at this time.  Plans to support it would be based on demand and would happen after PM 6 is released.

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 12:47:28 AM »
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16765 (2682973)
Mac OS 10.9.5

I was just evaluating a demo of Affinity Photo and noticed this issue as well. Images saved under the .afphoto file extension do not display previews in PM. A preview IS available in the OSX finder however.

Affinity Photo is getting mostly fantastic reviews and is frequently referred to as a serious professional-caliber Photoshop alternative. If that is indeed the case, I'd suggest it would be worth looking into compatibility.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 09:38:36 AM »
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16765 (2682973)
Mac OS 10.9.5

I was just evaluating a demo of Affinity Photo and noticed this issue as well. Images saved under the .afphoto file extension do not display previews in PM. A preview IS available in the OSX finder however.

Affinity Photo is getting mostly fantastic reviews and is frequently referred to as a serious professional-caliber Photoshop alternative. If that is indeed the case, I'd suggest it would be worth looking into compatibility.

Having a sample image would be helpful.  If it is fairly small (less than 10MB, post it here) otherwise contact me privately and I'll give you login info to our FTP server.

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 04:51:32 PM »
Hi Kirk, here's a .afphoto sample file.
Cheers.

Offline wgruen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 04:11:16 AM »
Hi,

sorry for resurrecting this old thread. Affinity Photo has come a long way, done a great job so far and is getting great reviews. How are the plans to include it in PM6?  And, if included, is there a timeline for PM6?

Let me know if you need any further file-samples or anything else! Thanks :-)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM »
Hi,

sorry for resurrecting this old thread. Affinity Photo has come a long way, done a great job so far and is getting great reviews. How are the plans to include it in PM6?  And, if included, is there a timeline for PM6?

Let me know if you need any further file-samples or anything else! Thanks :-)

No plans at this time to add support for Affinity Photos.  I looked at the sample and it's not immediately obvious how PM could render the file.  I also looked for documentation for the file format and found none.  We'd be happy to support it if it were possible to do so without endless hours of reverse engineering on our part.  If you could convince them to document how to access a preview from their file format or even better, provide an open source library for generating previews of their file format then we'd do what we can to support it.  Short of that, we just don't have the resources to support proprietary file formats.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:31:54 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline wgruen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 11:33:38 AM »
Hi,

there is a 512px .png in the .afphoto container. I was able to extract it with a hex-editor, starting at 89504E47 0D0A1A0A (the magic bytes of png) all the way to the end of the container. Hope this helps, let me know if i can be of any further help!

Maybe you can also add it to "Set..." in the tab "Preferences => Launching"?

Thank you, Werner

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 09:25:59 AM »
Werner,

there is a 512px .png in the .afphoto container. I was able to extract it with a hex-editor, starting at 89504E47 0D0A1A0A (the magic bytes of png) all the way to the end of the container. Hope this helps, let me know if i can be of any further help!

Thank you.  Unfortunately I don't think a 512 pixel image will make for good results other than for a thumbnail.

-Kirk

Offline wgruen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 10:11:48 AM »
Werner,

Thank you.  Unfortunately I don't think a 512 pixel image will make for good results other than for a thumbnail.

-Kirk
...thats' all i was hoping for: a preview in the contact sheet and a possibility to open it in Affinity Photo ;-)
For me, no fancy tagging (well maybe with a sidecar-file?) or editing features in PM are required!

BTW another question, i do not use PM that long - is there a feature for grouping different versions of a photo, like:
"This is the master - those versions belong to this master." Such a feature would fit brilliant into my workflow "RAW => TIFF => AFPHOTO => JPG"

Cheers

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 11:56:07 AM »
Werner,

...thats' all i was hoping for: a preview in the contact sheet and a possibility to open it in Affinity Photo ;-)
For me, no fancy tagging (well maybe with a sidecar-file?) or editing features in PM are required!

BTW another question, i do not use PM that long - is there a feature for grouping different versions of a photo, like:
"This is the master - those versions belong to this master." Such a feature would fit brilliant into my workflow "RAW => TIFF => AFPHOTO => JPG"

No, no grouping of "versions".

-Kirk

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 06:47:13 PM »

No, no grouping of "versions".

-Kirk

Will there be some kind of version support in the Catalog version?

Jim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 09:04:15 PM »
Versioning is not a planned feature at this time.

-Kirk