Author Topic: IPTC Stationery Pad - This should be an easy one for you Kirk  (Read 2256 times)

Offline djjcarroll

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I must say Kirk that I do not often change my IPTC stationery pads but if a new PM version comes out or else I do something crazy, I have to redo my pads.  Problem is I do not know how in Ver 5.  I read the many post on this, I went to the Accessibility Panel and looked at the Customize options but no where do I see a Panel for GPS coordinates like I used to have in Ver 4 and perhaps prior.

I'm sure it's there and that PM Ver 5 is reading my camera generated coordinates like it used to, but I cannot find this data.  I can see the data I want in the Variable list.

Don J J C

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Stationery Pad - This should be an easy one for you Kirk
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 01:59:31 PM »
Don,

I must say Kirk that I do not often change my IPTC stationery pads but if a new PM version comes out or else I do something crazy, I have to redo my pads.  Problem is I do not know how in Ver 5.  I read the many post on this, I went to the Accessibility Panel and looked at the Customize options but no where do I see a Panel for GPS coordinates like I used to have in Ver 4 and perhaps prior.

The IPTC Stationery Pad has never applied GPS coordinates.  So I'm not understanding what you're having a problem with?  You want to set GPS coordinates?  You want to use gps coordinates from images to apply as IPTC metadata?

I'm sure it's there and that PM Ver 5 is reading my camera generated coordinates like it used to, but I cannot find this data.  I can see the data I want in the Variable list.

Do you simply want to view the GPS coordinates?  You can use the "Show GPS Map..." contextual menu from the Contact Sheet.  You can add gps-related variables to your Info Text (Edit->Settings->Set Info Text...)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline djjcarroll

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 11:03:02 AM »
Kirk, I must be totally confused and I apologize.

I must have been thinking that I had previously capture my camera generated GPS coordinates in the IPTC Pad during ingest but now I recall it was in the image information text that I had set the GPS coordinates.

To your query: "You want to use gps coordinates from images to apply as IPTC metadata?"   Is this possible?  If the IPTC Pad captures the image capture date I would think it would capture other data as well?

However, I can see that if one does capture the GPS data automatically in the IPTC pad (that is if it was possible) and one applies that metadata IPTC Pad to multiple images the GPS coordinates would not be correct for images captures in different locations.

As always, thank you for the prompt replies. I'm a long time user of Photo Mechanic and I love it and promote it often to my photography collegues.

Anyway, thanks for "straightening me out" on this GPS issue.
Don

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 01:17:51 PM »
Don,

Kirk, I must be totally confused and I apologize.

I must have been thinking that I had previously capture my camera generated GPS coordinates in the IPTC Pad during ingest but now I recall it was in the image information text that I had set the GPS coordinates.

To your query: "You want to use gps coordinates from images to apply as IPTC metadata?"   Is this possible?  If the IPTC Pad captures the image capture date I would think it would capture other data as well?

However, I can see that if one does capture the GPS data automatically in the IPTC pad (that is if it was possible) and one applies that metadata IPTC Pad to multiple images the GPS coordinates would not be correct for images captures in different locations.

As always, thank you for the prompt replies. I'm a long time user of Photo Mechanic and I love it and promote it often to my photography collegues.

You're welcome.

PM supports a number of GPS-related variables that can pull out GPS data for images that have GPS coordinate information tagged on them.  PM can also set GPS coordinates on a photo and even import a GPS log and sync up and interpolate coordinates over a selection of photos.

Here is the list of GPS variables that PM supports: http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#GPS_Variables

HTH,

-Kirk