Author Topic: Unusual dock activity browsing movies  (Read 2609 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Unusual dock activity browsing movies
« on: July 27, 2015, 12:17:45 PM »
Mac OS 10.9.5
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16438 (e61be25)

In PM when I navigate to a contact sheet that has movie files in it, I sometimes get multiple PM logos showing up and bouncing in the dock. I've seen as many as 4 logos all bouncing at once. They disappear after about a second. After that, I will sometimes see several very brief flashes of an icon starting to pop up on the dock, but it doesn't fully appear so I can't identify whether it is a PM icon or not.

Typically this behaviour only happens the first time a visit a contact sheet with movie files. After that, navigating elsewhere and returning to the same contact sheet does not cause the odd dock activity. Also, it happens with any file type, mp4, mov, mkv etc.

It doesn't appear to be causing any problems that I can see, but the behaviour seems unusual, so I just wanted to check to see if this is expected or if there is indeed a problem.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Unusual dock activity browsing movies
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 12:39:44 PM »
Mac OS 10.9.5
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16438 (e61be25)

In PM when I navigate to a contact sheet that has movie files in it, I sometimes get multiple PM logos showing up and bouncing in the dock. I've seen as many as 4 logos all bouncing at once. They disappear after about a second. After that, I will sometimes see several very brief flashes of an icon starting to pop up on the dock, but it doesn't fully appear so I can't identify whether it is a PM icon or not.

Typically this behaviour only happens the first time a visit a contact sheet with movie files. After that, navigating elsewhere and returning to the same contact sheet does not cause the odd dock activity. Also, it happens with any file type, mp4, mov, mkv etc.

It doesn't appear to be causing any problems that I can see, but the behaviour seems unusual, so I just wanted to check to see if this is expected or if there is indeed a problem.

Thanks.

It's expected, but not desired.  PM uses a separate command-line application (a part of the Photo Mechanic application package) to render videos on the Mac using QuickTimeX.  Unfortunately, even though we have set the app's attributes to say that it has no UI, the system insists on showing it in the dock.

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Re: Unusual dock activity browsing movies
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 10:07:28 AM »
Thanks for the info Kirk.
Cheers...