Author Topic: Metadata Attaching to File?  (Read 9665 times)

Offline ericrudd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Metadata Attaching to File?
« on: July 28, 2015, 10:27:32 AM »
Dear Bits,

Can you help me determine what the difference in these two files might be? Specifically, is the metadata "attached" in similar fashion.

The reason I ask is this.....my office uses a digital asset management system called Widen. In this system you can map IPTC/xmp fields in the image to metadata fields in the application.

When I import the bicycle image into our DAM, all fields of data get mapped correctly. i.e., the application "sees" the metadata. When I upload the two dudes talking at the desk, however, no metadata gets mapped, even though I've used the same IPTC stationary to apply the metadata to the image.

Is the metadata not getting appended to the file in the same way? Does any of this make sense!!????

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Metadata Attaching to File?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:37:02 AM »
The second photo has the following information in it:

<photoshop:SupplementalCategories>
            <rdf:Bag>
               <rdf:li>building interior or room</rdf:li>
            </rdf:Bag>
         </photoshop:SupplementalCategories>
         <dc:subject>
               <rdf:li>ProtectIU</rdf:li>
               <rdf:li>police station</rdf:li>
               <rdf:li>command center</rdf:li>
               <rdf:li>emergency response center</rdf:li>
         </dc:subject>
         <dc:creator>
            <rdf:Seq>
               <rdf:li>Eric Rudd</rdf:li>
            </rdf:Seq>
         </dc:creator>
         <dc:rights>
            <rdf:Alt>
               <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">©2015 The Trustees of Indiana University</rdf:li>
            </rdf:Alt>
         </dc:rights>
         <Iptc4xmpExt:LocationCreated>
               <rdf:li Iptc4xmpExt:Sublocation="" Iptc4xmpExt:City="Bloomington" Iptc4xmpExt:ProvinceState="Indiana" Iptc4xmpExt:CountryName="" Iptc4xmpExt:CountryCode="" Iptc4xmpExt:WorldRegion="" />
         </Iptc4xmpExt:LocationCreated>

You can always view the IPTC/XMP metadata as fields by clicking on the 'i' button that appears when you hover your mouse cursor over a thumbnail in the Contact Sheet view.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline ericrudd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 12:05:07 PM »
Ok, Kirk. Thank you. That leads me to believe it's on their end.

Eric

Offline ericrudd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:05:53 PM »
Hi Camera Bits folks...

Ok...I figured out the difference in my two files. First off....both had metadata added using the IPTC Stationary in PM. I have a saved template.

Then....I opened the bike image in Photoshop, did some editing, converted to sRBG, saved, then closed.

The image of the guys at the desk....was not opened in Photoshop and remains an Adobe RGB image. (I realize that the color space is not relevant).

When I upload these images to my DAM, it pulls metadata from both the IPTC and/or XMP files. Is there a change happening to my files when I open them in Photoshop? Is some of the IPTC data being "saved" into the file when I use Photoshop?  Do I need to change the preferences in PM somehow? Thoughts?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 03:35:31 PM »
Is the XMP metadata I posted earlier what you expected to see?

Both images have legacy IPTC metadata and XMP metadata.

If you'll tell me what specific information you see in the "guys at the desk" image when you bring up the IPTC Info in Photo Mechanic (click the 'i' button on the thumbnail) then I'll tell you where that metadata is located in the image (either in legacy IPTC or XMP, or both).

The two files are well formatted and there is nothing "wrong" with them.

I do suggest adopting XMP only and not to bother with legacy IPTC metadata, but modern systems should be able to handle both.

-Kirk

Offline ericrudd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 06:40:07 AM »
Hi Kirk!

Yes, the metadata you posted displays what I want to see. I think I am getting closer to figuring out what might be causing this issue. Yesterday, I uploaded two versions of the same image to our digital asset management system. I want to spell out the exact workflow in case it helps. The RAW file is imported with a completed IPTC Stationary page filled out. That file is converted to jpg in a RAW converter. When I upload this file to our DAM, the metadata is incomplete.

When this same file is opened in Photoshop, edited, then saved, and then uploaded to our DAM from PM, all of the metadata is there. Is there some process of "baking in" the metadata that PS is doing that isn't present initially PM?

I've done another example. The portrait shown here without the IU tab is the original jpg. The portrait WITH the IU tab is the Photoshop-saved version.

I've also included original image files.

Offline ericrudd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 06:41:10 AM »
Ran out of upload memory. Here is the PS saved version.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 10:02:35 AM »
Eric,

Yes, the metadata you posted displays what I want to see. I think I am getting closer to figuring out what might be causing this issue. Yesterday, I uploaded two versions of the same image to our digital asset management system. I want to spell out the exact workflow in case it helps. The RAW file is imported with a completed IPTC Stationary page filled out. That file is converted to jpg in a RAW converter. When I upload this file to our DAM, the metadata is incomplete.

What is your RAW converter?  Is there some reason it doesn't embed all of the metadata from the XMP sidecar file (I assume you're using XMP sidecar files) into the resulting JPEG?

-Kirk

Offline ericrudd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 10:15:30 AM »
I use Canon's Digital Photo Professional. Yes, I'm one of the 5 people on the planet that use it!

Offline ericrudd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 10:36:29 AM »
and yes, that's the weird thing. The environmental portrait of the dude I've shown here, without the IU red tab, IS the jpg from Digital Photo Professional. The info tab shows the correct metadata. So it's not getting totally stripped, but I wonder if the link between the file and the data is screwy.

I wonder if Canon has totally bailed on IPTC?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 01:09:46 PM »
Eric,

and yes, that's the weird thing. The environmental portrait of the dude I've shown here, without the IU red tab, IS the jpg from Digital Photo Professional. The info tab shows the correct metadata. So it's not getting totally stripped, but I wonder if the link between the file and the data is screwy.

I wonder if Canon has totally bailed on IPTC?

With JPEGs, all metadata is embedded into the JPEG file itself.

So with both images, what does your DAM not see?

-Kirk