Author Topic: local vs global IPTC stationary pad  (Read 8193 times)

Offline C-F

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
local vs global IPTC stationary pad
« on: August 03, 2015, 09:12:02 AM »
Hey,
probably minor, but yet I can not find the difference between the two.
When do you use one over the other and by definition, what exactly is the difference?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: local vs global IPTC stationary pad
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 09:55:31 AM »
probably minor, but yet I can not find the difference between the two.
When do you use one over the other and by definition, what exactly is the difference?

In the Ingest dialog one can use a local IPTC Stationery Pad that is used solely by Ingest, or one can use the global IPTC Stationery Pad which is shared amongst all of the features of Photo Mechanic that are capable of applying the IPTC Stationery Pad.

-Kirk

Offline C-F

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 11:15:08 AM »
Thank you Kirk!
Now, after 'ingesting' this part of info, I'm sure more questions will arise...
I assume you can have 2 different stationaries (local / global) e.g. 2 photographers for ingest... I'll try that out.
Thanks again
btw, great product - I like it a lot  :) 8)

Offline Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:30:54 AM »
You could have two (or more ) local stationery pads saved as snapshots (the lightening bolt on lower left in the Ingest dialog).
If you use the Local pad, and select from saved snapshots, each photog will have his own info pre filled in during ingest. That is better than toggling between local and global, which could get you confused.

Offline C-F

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 12:05:48 PM »
Thanks.
Now, if local stationary pad is sufficient for the ingest, what would be a workflow application to use the global pad?

I've been using PM for 5years now, but only to do the ingest part and at times to extract the jpg's from my NEF files.
Because of time issues I have not 'dug' very deep into the other possibilities until now.

After lots of trials with many different software makers, my current workflow is now down to using PM5 for ingest, tagging, and key wording , Capture one pro 8.x for tethered shooting, raw converting, editing, outputting, printing, and DAM (both sessions and catalog), and (lol) Picasa for web uploads.
Yesterday I succeeded to synchronize the color tags between PM and CO, it was the only part of the metadata that caused some tinkering (like in read the manual(s). (I do not use side cars).

Any hints for any further PM workflow applications would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!