Author Topic: Slide show will not start  (Read 4446 times)

Offline pkgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Slide show will not start
« on: August 04, 2015, 09:03:50 AM »
Windows 7 home premium
Toshiba Laptop
PhotoMechanic v5 build 16438

Neither the slide show nor the live slide sow feature will not start.  If it does start it will lock up and not end. 
This problem is unique to this machine,  seems to work on other machines.

I have reloaded windows from a set of recover discs to no avail?   any suggestions as to what the problem is ?

Thanks

Kevin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Slide show will not start
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 10:03:11 AM »
Kevin,

Windows 7 home premium
Toshiba Laptop
PhotoMechanic v5 build 16438

Neither the slide show nor the live slide sow feature will not start.  If it does start it will lock up and not end. 
This problem is unique to this machine,  seems to work on other machines.

I have reloaded windows from a set of recover discs to no avail?   any suggestions as to what the problem is ?

Sounds like a video driver issue to me.  Have you got the latest driver for your video adapter?

-Kirk

Offline pkgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 02:53:44 PM »
Thanks for the quick response Kirk...
I downloaded and loaded the newest video drivers.  Did not help.  Problem still evident.

I installed PM 4.6.9.

Slide Show module behaves normally.  Transitions were somewhat erratic (choppy) but the slide show functioned correctly.

Another observation...   on reloading PM 5 I had a Self-Registration Error window pop up
PMShellMenu.dll       error :0x0

After doing this the slide show would start but would not end by hitting the ESC key.  Only way to end is to use the Task Manager.

Would appreciate your thoughts Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 07:01:40 PM »
Kevin,

I downloaded and loaded the newest video drivers.  Did not help.  Problem still evident.

I installed PM 4.6.9.

Slide Show module behaves normally.  Transitions were somewhat erratic (choppy) but the slide show functioned correctly.

The slideshow in PM 4.6.9 uses libSDL to take over the screen and fade the images in/out.  PM5 uses an OpenGL-based library for running the slideshow.

Another observation...   on reloading PM 5 I had a Self-Registration Error window pop up
PMShellMenu.dll       error :0x0

This should have no bearing on the slideshow.

After doing this the slide show would start but would not end by hitting the ESC key.  Only way to end is to use the Task Manager.

After doing what specifically?  Reinstalling PM5?

-Kirk

Offline pkgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 10:26:27 AM »
Thanks Kirk

After doing what specifically?  Reinstalling PM5?

-Kirk

[/quote]

Yes, I reinstalled PM5.

The slide show module is not something that i use a lot. I can live without it... for now.  As I stated before, this problem seems to be unique to this laptop.  The desktop machines that I have PM5 on behave normally.

Thanks again for your help.