Author Topic: Setting IPTC / XMP preferences  (Read 4156 times)

Offline pee tee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Setting IPTC / XMP preferences
« on: August 03, 2015, 06:06:24 PM »
Hi,

I'm running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16438 (e61be25) on a Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Intel-based).

A screen grab of the current IPTC / XMP preferences settings is attached.

To be honest, as a non-techie, I've never fully understood precisely what these settings mean. Am writing because I'm about to start using Lightroom and would like to try and create the most useful relationship between the two programs. I intend to continue ingressing my RAWs with PM, adding metadata, then importing them into Lightroom, and there converting them to DNGs.

In that case what would be the most appropriate PM preferences setting for IPTC/XMP? Would you suggest changes?
The settings for 'When reading IPTC/XMP' don't seem to be too critical as it's just the order in which it goes about it, right?
However the settings for 'When writing IPTC/XMP' are important, right?
'Add embedded IPTC' is checked. Is this written to a XMP sidecar file? Can this be read by Lightroom?
What are 'Tiff-based RAW photos (non-DNG)'?
'Allow RAW files to be modified' is checked. Good or not good? What does it mean? I thought the whole point about RAW files was that they didn't change!
'Add embedded metadata' is checked. Would 'XMP and IPTC' be better than 'XPM only'?
Should 'Always create and/or update XMP sidecar file' be checked?

Your support and advise would be much appreciated!
pee tee

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Setting IPTC / XMP preferences
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 10:46:38 PM »
Please see: http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Maximizing_IPTC.2FXMP_Compatibility

Choose the [Adobe Products] setting and you'll have optimized settings for use with Lightroom.

-Kirk

Offline pee tee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Setting IPTC / XMP preferences
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the link, Kirk. Have set my preferences as advised.
These days the complexity of photo management and processing software is becoming a real challenge!
pee tee