Author Topic: Windows 10 folder problem in Library Pictures  (Read 7971 times)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Windows 10 folder problem in Library Pictures
« on: August 07, 2015, 07:18:35 AM »
Kirk,

I am running PM 5 on a new Win10 HP laptop and I am experiencing a problem that I never had in Win7.

To keep things simple I set up a folder in the Library Pictures folder to hold the current jobs before exporting to a server when finished. After ingesting into that folder I then saved the pictures I needed to a sub-folder using PM's "Save Photo as....".

However, when doing so PM kept reporting that it couldn't complete the task whether it was one picture or twenty.

I have transferred the folder outside the Pictures folder and there is not a problem.

In Win7 I always used folders outside the Pictures Folder and did not experience this so I don't know how Win7 would have reacted to this usage.

Are you able to advise on this?

Best rgds,
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Windows 10 folder problem in Library Pictures
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 08:41:28 AM »
David,

I am running PM 5 on a new Win10 HP laptop and I am experiencing a problem that I never had in Win7.

To keep things simple I set up a folder in the Library Pictures folder to hold the current jobs before exporting to a server when finished. After ingesting into that folder I then saved the pictures I needed to a sub-folder using PM's "Save Photo as....".

However, when doing so PM kept reporting that it couldn't complete the task whether it was one picture or twenty.

I have transferred the folder outside the Pictures folder and there is not a problem.

In Win7 I always used folders outside the Pictures Folder and did not experience this so I don't know how Win7 would have reacted to this usage.

Are you able to advise on this?

No.  But please send me your zipped PM.log file by going to the Help menu and choosing "Reveal Support Data..." then upload your file here.  It may have some clues in it.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

For now, why not simply use some other folder for your staging?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 01:23:33 PM »
This post suggests that for some reason Folder ownership of the Pictures folder in Windows 10 does not always include the right users.  Some replies said that going into Folder permissions was able to solve the issue:

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/9634-unable-create-save-files-documents-pictures-folders.html

Let us know if this helps?

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies Kirk and Mick.

The zipped text file is attached. Hopefully you can fathom the problem out.

I have reverted to using the system that I am using in Win7 on my PC with folders situated outside the Library Pictures folder and works okay now on Win10.

It would be good to keep my laptop a bit tidier by running all my transit picture folders via the Library Pictures folder.

I look forward to hearing your analysis of the problem

Best rgds,
David

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 11:32:18 PM »
David,

The zipped text file is attached. Hopefully you can fathom the problem out.

I look forward to hearing your analysis of the problem

It looks like a permissions problem.  Did you try following the suggestions from Mick's reply?

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 08:08:26 AM »
Sorry Kirk, my mistake, I was in London and saw Mick's reply on my mobile and did not check the link when I got back.

I have now followed the suggestions on the Win10 forum and it does look as though this problem is cured for the Library Picture folder.

For some reason the Security Permissions set for the Home Users didn't allow 'Full control' or 'Modify'. Now that I have corrected that it is working properly.

There also appeared to be the same problem with the OneDrive folders which I have also corrected. I have never really used OneDrive in the past but might start using it now just a little to start with.

I have a modest sized job to do tomorrow and will let you know if the problem recurs.

Thanks again for your quick assistance.

Best rgds,
David