Author Topic: Remove Selective EXIF data...  (Read 2826 times)

Offline cjgunther

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Remove Selective EXIF data...
« on: August 13, 2015, 01:43:34 PM »
Hello, I know that I can delete all the EXIF Data from a file, but I am wondering if there would be a feature so that only selective EXIF data could be deleted. Back story: The system my agency uses is unable to retain captions on files that have any GPS data attached, even if that data is Null. When I remove all the EXIF data the captions are retained, but I loose a bunch of info that I would like to keep. If specific fields could be selected for deletion that would be helpful. Thanks so much for the attention to this.
CJ Gunther - EPA

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Remove Selective EXIF data...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 03:59:21 PM »
Hello, I know that I can delete all the EXIF Data from a file, but I am wondering if there would be a feature so that only selective EXIF data could be deleted. Back story: The system my agency uses is unable to retain captions on files that have any GPS data attached, even if that data is Null. When I remove all the EXIF data the captions are retained, but I loose a bunch of info that I would like to keep. If specific fields could be selected for deletion that would be helpful. Thanks so much for the attention to this.
CJ Gunther - EPA

ExifTool should be able to do that for you right now.  A feature like this is not something we will likely ever implement.  Adding/removing EXIF tags can be very tricky.  We have to go to great lengths just to be able to add GPS EXIF tags as it is right now.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

-Kirk