Author Topic: Saving to TIFF from NEF, does PM use the embedded jpg image?  (Read 5735 times)

Offline Yvan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Saving to TIFF from NEF, does PM use the embedded jpg image?
« on: August 17, 2015, 09:27:21 AM »
Hi,

Context: I have plenty of NEF files processed with Capture NX2. I save them in NEF. NEF files have embedded jpg images. NX2 saves TIFF using native NEF + applied processing. However, it is not as fast as PM.

Question: If I use PM to save the post-processed NEF files in TIFF, will the result be made from the embedded jpg (and loose image information due to jpg limitations) or will the result be made from native NEF + postprocessing?

In other words, if I save TIFF files with PM from NEF files, will the result have the quality of a jpg file? of a raw NEF file? of a processed NEF file?

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Saving to TIFF from NEF, does PM use the embedded jpg image?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »
Context: I have plenty of NEF files processed with Capture NX2. I save them in NEF. NEF files have embedded jpg images. NX2 saves TIFF using native NEF + applied processing. However, it is not as fast as PM.

Question: If I use PM to save the post-processed NEF files in TIFF, will the result be made from the embedded jpg (and loose image information due to jpg limitations) or will the result be made from native NEF + postprocessing?

In other words, if I save TIFF files with PM from NEF files, will the result have the quality of a jpg file? of a raw NEF file? of a processed NEF file?

PM will use the embedded preview in your NEF files to make any output file.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 01:27:04 PM »
PM will use the embedded preview in your NEF files to make any output file.

To add to this: the embedded preview made by NX2 is of very high quality and can be used for most practical purposes. Certainly for the web, and even for “standard” print jobs.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Yvan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 04:46:10 PM »
Is it worth saving TIFFs from NX2 for max quality (but extra time) or simply go faster with PM?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 10:30:20 PM »
Is it worth saving TIFFs from NX2 for max quality (but extra time) or simply go faster with PM?
Depends on the purpose. If you are going to use them for web or normal printing purposes, I'd say no. Only when you're going to make large sized art prints will you really start noticing things. This assuming the embedded previews are in sRGB (or aRGB).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Yvan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 12:00:23 PM »
Thanks!  I do large 24x36 fine art photos, so I'll keep using NX2 to transfer NEF to TIFF.