Author Topic: Problem importing GPS logs...PM seems to default to a waypoint  (Read 3732 times)

Offline rowlandr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • RobinRowland.com
I have started importing GPS logs to PM for the first time (new camera that doesn't have GPS like my others)
The problem is that PM seems to be defaulting to the one waypoint on the track, rather than matching the time clock.
The only waypoint set on my Garmin GPS unit is my home.
Yesterday I spent a good deal of time in remote mountain areas, I was using both a camera with GPS and a Garmin Extrex as well as my new camera which has no built in GPS
When I import the GPS logs, I can see my route on the Google map display in  PM, which matches the display of my route in Garmin Mapsource. The time stamp between photo and the Garmin log shows only 30 seconds difference.    But when the image is displayed in PM the Google pointer points to my home and gives my home's lat and long not the matching track for any time stamp along my way.  I have tried this with different images at different locations and different times and PM still thinks they were taken at my home waypoint.
Am I missing an import step here or is there another problem I may have missed???

thanks

Robin

Robin Rowland
Photographer and Author

http://robinrowland.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem importing GPS logs...PM seems to default to a waypoint
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 01:59:31 PM »
Robin,

I have started importing GPS logs to PM for the first time (new camera that doesn't have GPS like my others)
The problem is that PM seems to be defaulting to the one waypoint on the track, rather than matching the time clock.
The only waypoint set on my Garmin GPS unit is my home.
Yesterday I spent a good deal of time in remote mountain areas, I was using both a camera with GPS and a Garmin Extrex as well as my new camera which has no built in GPS
When I import the GPS logs, I can see my route on the Google map display in  PM, which matches the display of my route in Garmin Mapsource. The time stamp between photo and the Garmin log shows only 30 seconds difference.    But when the image is displayed in PM the Google pointer points to my home and gives my home's lat and long not the matching track for any time stamp along my way.  I have tried this with different images at different locations and different times and PM still thinks they were taken at my home waypoint.
Am I missing an import step here or is there another problem I may have missed???

Have you tried adjusting the GMT offset of your photos to better match up with your log file?  PM will match photos to the GPS coordinates who's time are closes to the capture time of the photos.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Importing_GPS_Coordinates

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline rowlandr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • RobinRowland.com
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
Kirk

I have adjusted the time (GPS on standard -8 camera on DLS  -7)
But the image is still defaulting to my home not the river where I was shooting the salmon run
so while the times now match better
Garmin Map Source shows 54 14 790  N  128 28 012 W  (which is correct and also matches the camera with the GPS's settings)
PM is showing 54 03 311  N 128 38 665 W for the image

RR
Robin Rowland
Photographer and Author

http://robinrowland.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 03:44:41 PM »
Robin,

I have adjusted the time (GPS on standard -8 camera on DLS  -7)
But the image is still defaulting to my home not the river where I was shooting the salmon run
so while the times now match better
Garmin Map Source shows 54 14 790  N  128 28 012 W  (which is correct and also matches the camera with the GPS's settings)
PM is showing 54 03 311  N 128 38 665 W for the image

Without access to the log and a few images (some at the start and end), it's really hard for me to speculate as to what is causing your problem.  If you'd like to share some samples, I'd be happy to look into it for you.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your sample files.

Thanks,

-Kirk