Author Topic: Travel-Return Filing Function  (Read 12635 times)

Offline mSummers

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Travel-Return Filing Function
« on: August 22, 2015, 06:03:01 AM »
Would it be possible to add a Travel/Return feature?  What I'm looking for is something that would copy the folder structure (or a portion of the structure) from my main storage drive onto a folder that I select on my laptop. Then after returning from a trip, the return function would copy the images filed in those folders including any new sub folders back onto the main photo drive.

This would be a helpful feature for anyone who files by location and/or likes to process images and save them into sub folders before filing them back on the main drive.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Travel-Return Filing Function
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 02:01:30 PM »
Would it be possible to add a Travel/Return feature?  What I'm looking for is something that would copy the folder structure (or a portion of the structure) from my main storage drive onto a folder that I select on my laptop. Then after returning from a trip, the return function would copy the images filed in those folders including any new sub folders back onto the main photo drive.

This would be a helpful feature for anyone who files by location and/or likes to process images and save them into sub folders before filing them back on the main drive.

Ingest (from Folder) should do that nicely already.

-Kirk

Offline mSummers

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 03:41:43 PM »
As long as I don't screw up the ingest settings and end up with everything in one folder, that appears to work for the "return" portion of the function. 

What about the "travel" function?  Is there a way to copy folder structures onto the laptop without their contents?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 06:20:44 PM »
As long as I don't screw up the ingest settings and end up with everything in one folder, that appears to work for the "return" portion of the function. 

What about the "travel" function?  Is there a way to copy folder structures onto the laptop without their contents?

You want to copy folders, but not the images?  That's not something that Ingest can do.  Why would you want the folder structure but not the files?  I don't understand what you're trying to do.

-Kirk

Offline mSummers

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 05:31:13 AM »
You're correct, I'm trying to copy the folder structure without the files when "traveling".  Sorry I didn't explain that clearly.

I file by location, so for example, the first time I go to Washington DC, I create a "Washington DC" folder with sub folders for "Capitol", "Washington Monument," "Lincoln Memorial," etc.  Within each of those sub folders I have an "Edited" folder for the PSD files a "JPEG" folder for the final JPEG's.  The next time I go to DC, if I can copy that folder structure onto the laptop without the images I don't have to recreate it from memory.  Then since the folder structure matches what is already on the main storage drive, the ingest folder function would work perfectly to transfer the images back to the main storage drive after I'm done editing. 

If I have to create the folder structure from memory there's a chance that I don't get the folder names exactly the same as last time and then end up with duplicate folders on the main drive that require cleanup.

Adding a "travel" function that can copy a portion of the folder structure off the main storage drive onto a laptop would be useful for anyone who files by location like me, any wildlife photographer who files by species, any sports photographer who files by team and player, etc.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 05:30:40 PM »
You're correct, I'm trying to copy the folder structure without the files when "traveling".  Sorry I didn't explain that clearly.

I file by location, so for example, the first time I go to Washington DC, I create a "Washington DC" folder with sub folders for "Capitol", "Washington Monument," "Lincoln Memorial," etc.  Within each of those sub folders I have an "Edited" folder for the PSD files a "JPEG" folder for the final JPEG's.  The next time I go to DC, if I can copy that folder structure onto the laptop without the images I don't have to recreate it from memory.  Then since the folder structure matches what is already on the main storage drive, the ingest folder function would work perfectly to transfer the images back to the main storage drive after I'm done editing. 

If I have to create the folder structure from memory there's a chance that I don't get the folder names exactly the same as last time and then end up with duplicate folders on the main drive that require cleanup.

Adding a "travel" function that can copy a portion of the folder structure off the main storage drive onto a laptop would be useful for anyone who files by location like me, any wildlife photographer who files by species, any sports photographer who files by team and player, etc.

Since you're creating this folder structure manually on your home system, why not simply 'zip' the folder structure and copy the zip file to your laptop.  When you're ready to begin, unzip the file and you'll have your exact folder structure, leaving no room for mistakes.  When you get home, Ingest (from folders), preserving the folder hierarchy.  Done.

-Kirk

Offline mSummers

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 05:59:50 PM »
Is there a way to zip the folder structure without also zipping the files in the folders?  If not, the zip file becomes useless as soon as you add a single new sub folder to the structure. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 10:40:45 PM »
Is there a way to zip the folder structure without also zipping the files in the folders?  If not, the zip file becomes useless as soon as you add a single new sub folder to the structure.

No, not to my knowledge.  Perhaps you'd be better off with a sync utility like 'rsync'?  There are GUI versions of it available for both Mac OS X and Windows.

rsync will reproduce a folder and files (and only the ones that have changed) with minimal copying.

-Kirk

Offline mSummers

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 03:32:02 AM »
Kirk,  thanks for your time. It is clear that this isn't a feature that you're interested in adding to Photo Mechanic at this time, so I'll stop wasting your time on the subject.  If you ever decide to add it to the software, let me know as I'll be happy to help beta test it.

Thanks,
Michael

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 05:23:04 AM »
Michael, if you are not afraid of the command-line (and assuming you are using a Mac), what you want can be easily achieved. If you're interested I can have a go at the required command for you.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 09:14:45 AM »
Michael,

Kirk,  thanks for your time. It is clear that this isn't a feature that you're interested in adding to Photo Mechanic at this time, so I'll stop wasting your time on the subject.  If you ever decide to add it to the software, let me know as I'll be happy to help beta test it.

That was never said by me.  I always figure that finding solutions for people now are better than waiting months for a new release for a feature to be added.  What you want to do can already be achieved with existing tools and thus you wouldn't need to wait for a feature to be added to PM.

-Kirk

Offline mSummers

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 06:08:13 PM »
Kirk,  I owe you an apology. I totally misread the intent of your responses and am sorry for that. Again, thank you for your time. I know you guys are busy and I appreciate you taking the time to respond on the forums.

I had searched for software that allows you to copy just the folder structure without the files and the results I found for PC involved command line based solutions which I would greatly prefer to avoid.  If you're aware of any software that would make that sort of copy I'd love to know where to find it since I haven't stumbled across it yet.

Thanks,
Michael

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 11:09:16 PM »
I had searched for software that allows you to copy just the folder structure without the files and the results I found for PC involved command line based solutions...

There used to be a utility called "tree copy" and I believe the same program is mentioned on the web page http://comptb.cects.com/copying-directory-structures-without-files/  (scroll down, the first part is about command line methods). Google points me to http://treecopy.software.informer.com/

--
Odd S.
--
Odd S.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 12:11:08 PM »
I suggest Grsync (it's a GUI version of rsync that runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X) which you can get here:

http://www.opbyte.it/grsync/

This is the rsync command that would copy a folder hierarchy but not the files:

rsync -a --include='*/' --exclude='*' source/ destination/

So in the gui, you would pick your source and destination folders, but in the Advanced Options tab under the "Additional options:" label, enter the parameters into the text field:

a --include='*/' --exclude='*'

I think that should do it.  'rsync' is an incredibly powerful tool.  Learning to use it will reward you time and time again when you see how you can use it to perform all kinds of copy/backup tasks.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline mSummers

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 08:39:04 AM »
Thanks!  I'll check those out.