Author Topic: Better Sharpening for Save As  (Read 7208 times)

Offline annedi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Better Sharpening for Save As
« on: August 26, 2015, 11:03:02 AM »
I have made constant use of Photo Mechanic's cropping and resizing on the Save As page. It is a real timesaver when prepping photos for online display.

But I would like to have more sharpening choices for the resized photos. The existing sharpening is sometimes too harsh for a downsized photo. May we please have a low/medium/high sharpening choice?

Thank you for your consideration.
Andrea Blum
UltravioletPhotography.com

Offline ericbowles

• Newcomer
  • Professional Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Bowles Images
Re: Better Sharpening for Save As
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 05:56:00 AM »
I agree.

Having some control over sharpening parameters would help a lot.  Particularly with social media, I'd like the ability to apply a light touch for images that have already been sharpened during editing so I don't end up with an oversharpened image.  It appears that many websites and social media sites automatically apply sharpening, so we end up with the sharpening I apply, Photo Mechanic Save As sharpening (either Off or On), and final sharpening by the receiving site for displaying thumbnails and web sized images. 

I have full sized images that look great.  Resizing for the web requires another pass of sharpening, but it varies by image and depends on my prior sharpening.  PM simply gives me a Yes or No option.  How about a High, Medium or Low? 
Eric Bowles

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 12:36:43 AM »
I also agree.

Having low, medium and high sharpening settings (with current level being "high") in the Save As window would be very useful and an improvement in web end-use image quality.

When saving for web use: often for black and white images turning sharpening off is the better, but not preferred option. For colour images, sharpening on is the better option but frequently too much.

Regards

Offline annedi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 11:46:37 AM »
Kirk, I'm wondering if you could comment on the possibility of having slightly expanded sharpening choices in Photo Mechanic in some future release? It would be so very useful when I use Photo Mechanic to prepare downsized proofs or demos from the embedded JPG.

Thank you for any consideration of this feature request!
Andrea Blum
UltravioletPhotography.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 11:53:48 AM »
Kirk, I'm wondering if you could comment on the possibility of having slightly expanded sharpening choices in Photo Mechanic in some future release? It would be so very useful when I use Photo Mechanic to prepare downsized proofs or demos from the embedded JPG.

It is likely that the feature will be implemented for the next major release of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 01:00:41 AM »
That's good news. Thanks.

It is likely that the feature will be implemented for the next major release of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 07:53:01 AM »
I add my voice to this request, thanks.