Author Topic: Missing images in PM but not in Windows Explorer in Win10  (Read 4967 times)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Missing images in PM but not in Windows Explorer in Win10
« on: September 01, 2015, 07:23:25 AM »
Kirk,

I am experiencing problems that may be related to my upgrade to Windows 10.

I first noticed this while working under pressure last week in Kazakhstan and it revolves around images going missing from the PM contact sheet but still being visible in Windows Explorer.

Today is about the third or fourth time it has happened. I selected an image from a day's shoot of 3528 images and started to write the caption. However, I had to go forward by about 40 images to check the clock picture and the names of the two contestants. I saved the partial caption and wrote it to the image and then scrolled forward but when I returned to the initial image position it had disappeared as though it had been deleted. Checking for the image using the option to view the adjoining file with Windows Explorer shows that the image has not been deleted and is present in Windows.

However, even when I reload the folder after closing PM to clear the cache PM fails to include the missing image.

This is a serious problem that I have never experienced before and assume it is due to upgrading to Win10.

If you would like me to send you any information please specify what you require and I will send it to you.

The files are NEFs.

I have just checked the same day's folder using ACDsee 8, the programme I currently use for cataloging my images, and the missing image in PM shows up straight away including the partial caption.

I have now just converted the NEF file to TIFF and it is still not recognised by PM as being present in the folder.

Just saved the file as a PSD and still not recognised by PM.

Best regards,
David
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:03:09 AM by judophotos »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Missing images in PM but not in Windows Explorer in Win10
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 09:41:22 AM »
Please post your PM log file here.  Go to the Help menu, choose "Reveal Support Data..." and then post the resulting zipped log file.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 01:44:05 PM »
Thanks Kirk.

The zipped file is now attached.

If you need the orginal NEF file, the TIFF and the PSD derivatives then let me know where to FTP them as they total  60 mb. For some reason none of the 3 images are recognized by PM even though they are in the original folder.

Best regards,
David

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 02:32:20 PM »
Kirk,

It has done it again.

This time I selected a picture, added a crop mark then selected the 30 images to caption them all.

After the captioning I went back to the selected image with the crop mark to send it by FTP and the image had gone as if deleted. On checking with Windows Explorer the image is still in the folder but not recognised by PM.

Could it be anything to do with the crop mark as I think I did the same with the earlier image.

Best regards,
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 03:31:48 PM »
David,

Thanks Kirk.

The zipped file is now attached.

If you need the orginal NEF file, the TIFF and the PSD derivatives then let me know where to FTP them as they total  60 mb. For some reason none of the 3 images are recognized by PM even though they are in the original folder.

What were the names of the files that fail to show up in PM?

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 03:37:57 PM »
David,

This time I selected a picture, added a crop mark then selected the 30 images to caption them all.

After the captioning I went back to the selected image with the crop mark to send it by FTP and the image had gone as if deleted. On checking with Windows Explorer the image is still in the folder but not recognised by PM.

Could it be anything to do with the crop mark as I think I did the same with the earlier image.

Unlikely.

I'd like for you to turn some of PM's logging on.  In order to turn the logging on, you'll need to create a file named PMDebug.txt and you have to place it among Photo Mechanic's preferences files.  Photo Mechanic's preferences files are stored in the following location:

<your home folder>\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\

Create the PMDebug.txt with your favorite text editor (it must be plain text and not some RTF or Word document.)  It needs to have the following contents:

SHOW_DIRSCAN_FILTER ON
SHOW_CSHEET_RESCAN ON
SHOW_DIRSCAN_TIME ON
FIND_FILES_LOGGING ON
CONTACT_SHEET_SORT_LOGGING ON

Save the PMDebug.txt file to the above folder.  Then run Photo Mechanic and reproduce the problem.  Next, go to the Help menu and choose the 'Reveal Support Data...' menu item.  Your PM.log file should now be compressed and a Windows Explorer window should come forward and show you the file.  Please post it here.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 03:49:56 PM »
The file that went missing earlier is named:    FINCH150830A4266 D7.NEF   and still does not show in PM.

The derivatives from this file as TIFF and PSD also do not show in PM.

I will run the logging txt file tomorrow as I am about to retire. I will get back to you later on this.

David

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 03:45:19 PM »
Kirk,

Attached is the logging file you requested. During the 15 minutes I used PM 3 or 4 files became 'lost'.

I was running the preview page and marked files with the grey marker.  I then went to the contact sheet and the marked files were 'lost' and yet could be seen in Windows Explorer and ACDSee8.

Hopefully the file helps you solve what is a very frustrating problem.

Ah ha! I think I have just discovered what the problem is. For some reason the grey colour picker is non-active when I open PM, so that when I choose the grey colour for an image you can see the image in the contact sheet initially until you close it.

When you reopen the contact sheet all the grey marked images are hidden as the grey marker on the bottom right is absent.

Whether or not this is peculiar to my few weeks old Win10 HP Pavilion which is turning off the grey button, only you can tell me. The processor is an i5-5200U with 2.2 GHz chip, 12 GB of ram and PM 5 build 16438 (e61be25).

Hopefully this can easily be resolved. Now I know what the problem is I can get back to work.

I await your advice.

Best regards,
David

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 04:52:55 PM »
David,

Attached is the logging file you requested. During the 15 minutes I used PM 3 or 4 files became 'lost'.

I was running the preview page and marked files with the grey marker.  I then went to the contact sheet and the marked files were 'lost' and yet could be seen in Windows Explorer and ACDSee8.

Hopefully the file helps you solve what is a very frustrating problem.

Ah ha! I think I have just discovered what the problem is. For some reason the grey colour picker is non-active when I open PM, so that when I choose the grey colour for an image you can see the image in the contact sheet initially until you close it.

When you reopen the contact sheet all the grey marked images are hidden as the grey marker on the bottom right is absent.

Whether or not this is peculiar to my few weeks old Win10 HP Pavilion which is turning off the grey button, only you can tell me. The processor is an i5-5200U with 2.2 GHz chip, 12 GB of ram and PM 5 build 16438 (e61be25).

Hopefully this can easily be resolved. Now I know what the problem is I can get back to work.

I await your advice.

I was wondering if this were a star/color filtering issue.  You apparently at one time or another made your Color Class filter preferences set to filter out your 'gray' color class.  All you have to do is set the filter the way you want it, and then right-click on the filter widget and make it the default.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 12:41:14 PM »
Thanks Kirk for the info.

I have now reset the colour class filter to the default so that on opening a contact sheet all the colours are showing and the grey filtered images are always showing.

I personalised the colours way back in 2012 but I haven't touched them since and I haven't got a clue what has caused this.

Until you mentioned it above I didn't know that there was a "Set as default" or "Restore defaults".

Hopefully the matter is now resolved fully.

Thanks for your help.

David