Author Topic: PM4.4.3.3 hanging on launch/opening folder with Image Capture on MacBookPro  (Read 5820 times)

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I thought i had finished with this problem which i had on my old PB but it's back. When i put a card in the cardreader and use Image Capture to download automatically and then open the folder in PM4.4.3.3; PM hangs with the spinning rainbow ball while trying to open the folder. This generally locks up the Mac (MacBookPro 2.33) forcing a restart.  I have loaded a fresh copy of PM4.4.3.3 but maybe it is a corrupted prefs file or what !? Typically with a folder of pix 500mbs to 1 GB.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
I thought i had finished with this problem which i had on my old PB but it's back. When i put a card in the cardreader and use Image Capture to download automatically and then open the folder in PM4.4.3.3; PM hangs with the spinning rainbow ball while trying to open the folder. This generally locks up the Mac (MacBookPro 2.33) forcing a restart.  I have loaded a fresh copy of PM4.4.3.3 but maybe it is a corrupted prefs file or what !? Typically with a folder of pix 500mbs to 1 GB.

Are you saying you have to reboot your computer?  You can't force quit Photo Mechanic?
What camera do you have?
Why are you using Image Capture? Photo Mechanic's Ingest feature is far more capable.

-Kirk

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Yes, after up to 2 minutes of waiting for PM4 to open up the folder (the rainbow ball spins during this time) the MacBook won't respond to apple/option/escape so it has to be crashed. During this time PM says it is sorting but as often as not it crashes before opening the folder.

When i was using the ingest method on my PB1gb it was a lot slower than simply copying the folder so i stopped using it.

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Kirk, I have Imagecapture set to launch automatically, copy the photos from the card to a preset folder which then opens in PM4 automatically......except for this problem.  This is for speed of process when having to ftp files during games; just being able to slot the card into the laptop and then return to it with the images open in PM4 saves time.  I can't immediately see a way of having PM4 ingest automatically once a card is in the reader but then i'm not having my finest day either and i am busy at a rugby sevens tournament.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Kirk, I have Imagecapture set to launch automatically, copy the photos from the card to a preset folder which then opens in PM4 automatically......except for this problem.  This is for speed of process when having to ftp files during games; just being able to slot the card into the laptop and then return to it with the images open in PM4 saves time.  I can't immediately see a way of having PM4 ingest automatically once a card is in the reader but then i'm not having my finest day either and i am busy at a rugby sevens tournament.

OK, so what camera do you have?

-Kirk

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Canon 1d mk2n

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Canon 1d mk2n

What kind of sort are you having Photo Mechanic do?

-Kirk

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Capture time; which works well as i next ftp the saved file after working on it in Photoshop.  After your ingest reminder i started using it again on my job last night; and as you say it may well be a better way to go BUT i would still like to try and find what the problem is if possible. I will do some tests re time/which way is faster.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Capture time; which works well as i next ftp the saved file after working on it in Photoshop.  After your ingest reminder i started using it again on my job last night; and as you say it may well be a better way to go BUT i would still like to try and find what the problem is if possible. I will do some tests re time/which way is faster.

If you change the default sort method to Filename, does the problem go away?

-Kirk