Author Topic: Weird color shifts  (Read 7779 times)

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Weird color shifts
« on: September 03, 2015, 02:02:41 PM »
Hi there. Sometimes when I go back to normal view of a single image (after zooming into an image), the image seems to have changed its color space (or something like that). But if I change the size of the window, even slightly, while in normal view, the image's color renders normally again.

In the examples attached, the image at 23% shows what it looked like after I had stopped viewing a few photos in zoom mode. After I adjusted the viewing window slightly (to 24%), the image rendered correctly.

BTW, the color shift doesn't show up while in zoom mode.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PM Version 5.0, build 16438 (e61be25)
Mac 10.10.5

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:16:38 PM by tommyleo »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Weird color shifts
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:10:47 PM »
Hi there. Sometimes when I go back to normal view of a single image (after zooming into an image), the image seems to have changed its color space (or something like that). But if I change the size of the window, even slightly, while in normal view, the image's color renders normally again.

In the examples attached, the image at 23% shows what it looked like after I had stopped viewing a few photos in zoom mode. After I adjusted the viewing window slightly (to 24%), the image rendered correctly.

BTW, the color shift doesn't show up while in zoom mode.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PM Version 5.0, build 16438 (e61be25)
Mac 10.10.5

Sounds like you may be running low on memory in Photo Mechanic.  What's your Memory Cache size in PM?

(Preferences->Caching)

-Kirk

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 03:31:27 PM »
Hi, Kirk. Everything looks on the low side.

My new MacBook Pro has 16GB of RAM ("DRAM"?) and a 1TB solid-state drive. Let me know what settings you recommend.

Thanks,

Tommy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 07:57:06 PM »
Tommy,

Hi, Kirk. Everything looks on the low side.

My new MacBook Pro has 16GB of RAM ("DRAM"?) and a 1TB solid-state drive. Let me know what settings you recommend.

Those settings seem fine to me.  More isn't always better.

-Kirk

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 08:07:08 PM »
OK, good to know.

So what do you think is the problem with the color shifts?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 10:28:11 PM »
OK, good to know.

So what do you think is the problem with the color shifts?

We could turn color management logging on which may help find the problem.  Note: I am on vacation right now so I'll get you started, but I won't have much time or ability to investigate until my return to work on Tuesday.

In order to turn the diagnostic logging on, you'll need to create a file named PMDebug.txt and you have to place it among Photo Mechanic's preferences files.  Photo Mechanic's preferences files are stored in the following location:

<your home folder>/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/

Create the PMDebug.txt with your favorite text editor (it must be plain text and not some RTF or Word document.)  It needs to have the following contents:

COLOR_MANAGEMENT_LOGGING ON

Save the PMDebug.txt file to your desktop and then copy it to the above folder.

The easiest way to open that folder is to use the Go menu in the finder and choose "Go to Folder..." and enter ~/Library/Preferences and then click the Go button.  Scroll down to the com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder and copy your PMDebug.txt file there.

Then run Photo Mechanic and reproduce the problem.  Next, go to the Help menu and choose the 'Reveal Support Data...' menu item.  Your PM.log file should now be compressed and a Finder window should come forward and show you the file.  Please post the updated file here.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 06:24:41 AM »
Kirk,

I finally had an opportunity to do what you asked above. See the attached file.

Thanks,

Tommy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 09:12:06 AM »
Tommy,

I finally had an opportunity to do what you asked above. See the attached file.

I see no Color Management logging in your PM.log file.  Could you please post your PMDebug.txt file here?

Also, it appears that you have a number of permissions problems with the files you're working with.  Here are some examples:

DiskUtils::GetFileInfoStat() failed with error: No such file or directory on "/Volumes/4TB G-DRIVE/3245 (Zicklin Center; Conference October 2015)/CG0A1002.CR2

CBFileIO.cpp:997 ERROR:could not write 38 bytes, wrote only 0 bytes in "/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/.pmingest.dat", errno is 28

CBFileIO.cpp:775 ERROR:read()ing from file /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100EOS5D/CG0A1006.CR2, error was:5
NRFCR2.cpp:288 Failed to read 64 bytes at end of file "/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100EOS5D/CG0A1006.CR2"

DiskUtils.mm:528 DiskUtils::FileCopyWithAttrs: ditto command: "ditto --rsrc /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100EOS5D/CG0A1008.CR2 /Volumes/4TB\ G-DRIVE/3247\ \(Forbes\;\ 30\ Under\ 30\ 2015\)/CG0A1008.CR2" exited with error:1.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your PMDebug.txt file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 09:27:57 AM »
Kirk,

The file you requested is attached. It doesn't appear to have anything in it beyond "COLOR_MANAGEMENT_LOGGING ON". I also attached a screenshot of my Finder window to show you where I placed the PMDebug file.

As for those permission problems, I am pretty sure that they are related to the fact that I have three external hard drives (all G-Tech drives) attached to my computer. When I only have two drives attached, I never get those errors. I'm not sure if that is something you can help with, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Tommy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 12:41:21 PM »
Tommy,

The file you requested is attached. It doesn't appear to have anything in it beyond "COLOR_MANAGEMENT_LOGGING ON". I also attached a screenshot of my Finder window to show you where I placed the PMDebug file.

As for those permission problems, I am pretty sure that they are related to the fact that I have three external hard drives (all G-Tech drives) attached to my computer. When I only have two drives attached, I never get those errors. I'm not sure if that is something you can help with, but I'm open to suggestions.

Open up a Terminal window.  Then type the following and press the space bar:

ls -@ldbe

Then in the Finder, find one of those images that you have problems with and drag and drop it onto the Terminal window.  Then click in the Terminal window and press enter.  Copy the output from the Terminal window and paste it in your reply here.  It should tell me all I need to know in order to help you take ownership of the files.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 03:15:27 PM »
Hi, Kirk. Now I'm confused. The color-shift problem doesn't seem to happen to any particular images. Rather it seems to happen randomly, to various images.

Anyway, I did what you requested. Here is the contents of the terminal window...

Last login: Fri Oct  2 00:28:04 on console
MacBook-Pro:~ Home$ ls -@ldbe /Volumes/4TB\ G-DRIVE/3246\ \(Zicklin\ Center\;\ Laufer\ and\ Petkoski\ portraits\)\ /3246_022.CR2
-rw-rw-rw-@ 1 Home  staff  26399722 Oct  2 18:04 /Volumes/4TB G-DRIVE/3246 (Zicklin Center; Laufer and Petkoski portraits) /3246_022.CR2
   com.apple.FinderInfo         32
MacBook-Pro:~ Home$

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 05:46:51 PM »
Tommy,

Hi, Kirk. Now I'm confused. The color-shift problem doesn't seem to happen to any particular images. Rather it seems to happen randomly, to various images.

Anyway, I did what you requested. Here is the contents of the terminal window...

Last login: Fri Oct  2 00:28:04 on console
MacBook-Pro:~ Home$ ls -@ldbe /Volumes/4TB\ G-DRIVE/3246\ \(Zicklin\ Center\;\ Laufer\ and\ Petkoski\ portraits\)\ /3246_022.CR2
-rw-rw-rw-@ 1 Home  staff  26399722 Oct  2 18:04 /Volumes/4TB G-DRIVE/3246 (Zicklin Center; Laufer and Petkoski portraits) /3246_022.CR2
   com.apple.FinderInfo         32
MacBook-Pro:~ Home$

You're the owner of the file and you have read/write privileges so PM should have no problem accessing the file.

In general I'd suggest shying away from special characters like parenthesis and semicolons in names, but they're legal in the filesystem.

-Kirk

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 07:29:52 PM »
PM has no problem accessing my files -- ever. It's just that sometimes I get color/contrast shifts viewing the same photo. It looks (perhaps) like the color space that is being used suddenly changes, but only for a few photos. Never for all the photos in a folder. And the color goes back to normal when the change the size of the PM window.