Author Topic: Search function issue  (Read 7130 times)

Offline fotobarone

• View Profile
Re: Search function issue
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 09:54:59 AM »
The date is there only in the raw file, not in the jpg.
Obviously i know i sent you a screenshot of a file taken on 08-24...
So, why the jpg files have lost the kMDItemFSCreationDate..??

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 10:26:43 AM »
The date is there only in the raw file, not in the jpg.
Obviously i know i sent you a screenshot of a file taken on 08-24...
So, why the jpg files have lost the kMDItemFSCreationDate..??

I'm sorry.  I didn't see that you posted the output of mdls for two images, one JPEG and one CR2.  If the JPEG wasn't produced by the camera then what did you use to produce the JPEG?  If the program is not putting an EXIF capture time tag in the image then you're not going to find it with a Spotlight-powered search.

-Kirk

Offline fotobarone

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 10:43:18 AM »
Thanks Kirk, i guess i've found something interesting, although quite alarming: i performed various searches inside different folders containing jpg files only, which have only been exported by Lightroom... and all went ok.... but then i've found out that when any photo is processed by Photoshop and save by it... the creation date becomes the very moment in which the file is saved on disk... :-(((
I searched in the PS and Finder preferences to see if there's any option i could check/uncheck, but found nothing...
Any thoughts or suggestions?
P.S. even stranger behavior: when i open in PM any folder (even those for which the date search doesn't work) how is it possible that PM actually can correctly sort all file by actual capture time...?!?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 11:21:47 AM »
Thanks Kirk, i guess i've found something interesting, although quite alarming: i performed various searches inside different folders containing jpg files only, which have only been exported by Lightroom... and all went ok.... but then i've found out that when any photo is processed by Photoshop and save by it... the creation date becomes the very moment in which the file is saved on disk... :-(((
I searched in the PS and Finder preferences to see if there's any option i could check/uncheck, but found nothing...
Any thoughts or suggestions?

If you open the RAW file via ACR as a Photoshop document (a regular image window) and then save as a JPEG, Photoshop writes very little EXIF data to the JPEG.

P.S. even stranger behavior: when i open in PM any folder (even those for which the date search doesn't work) how is it possible that PM actually can correctly sort all file by actual capture time...?!?

If PM cannot find a Capture Time EXIF tag then it falls back to other metadata like creation date of the file, modification date of the file, and lastly just uses the filename to sort.  (This is off the top of my head and I haven't looked at the code to see exactly what it does when the data is missing.)

-Kirk