Author Topic: PM for New iPad Pro  (Read 34349 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: PM for New iPad Pro
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 06:57:31 AM »
There is a "Filterstorm neue pro" out now, which seems to deal with the problems. But one remains always: How to get the photos from a CF-card to the ipad fast and reliable?

-john

There is a Lightning-USB adapter. You can attach your camera directly to the iPad/iPhone with it and download images. It also might work with some of the card readers too, but not all types.

There also is a Kingston WiFi card reader, that has only an SD slot, but has USB and you can access images over WiFi.

I prefer using an SD-CF adapter and use the SD-Lighting adapter instead.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 08:57:26 AM »
Graham,

I am going to be a knob on this. It seems if Adobe can develop Lightroom for iPad, then the same can be done for Photomechanic. Not trying to stir the puddin' just making a comment.

We don't have the manpower to take on another project at this time.

-Kirk

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 07:09:05 AM »
Ipad is not a color managed platform (though the latest and greatest 9.7" Ipad Pro is moving this direction -- the big one doesn't have it). 

I would not want to be doing any significant editing of images without color management.

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 10:56:08 AM »
Count me in as well towards not wanting an iPad version. I have an iPad and an iPad Pro. The pro is wonderful and almost shockingly fast. Why do I NOT want a version.  Reality. Please spend your resources on Catalogue. :)

Offline Tim S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2016, 03:49:36 AM »
I have a fundamental issue with using an iPad for processing images.  It's the fact that they make it difficult to get files to them in the first place and even when you can get the files across there is only a finite amount of space to store them.  Most Android and Windows devices allow you to plug in any old USB card reader or storage device (even a large HDD) directly via USB-OTG, they also allow you to add internal storage such as a micro SD card.  This makes for a much more flexible system, with no need to use wifi, eyefi or Apple's image transfer devices that, I believe, only permit certain card and file types.

My workflow in the field is simple - card out of the camera and into a card reader, plug that into my android tablet and away I go.  I can work on the images directly on the card or copy them to the device first.  The only drawback is the best software I've found for sorting and basic RAW processing (RawVision) isn't very intuitive, however it's pretty fast for both RAW and jpeg.  PM for Android, I know is unlikely, but would be nice ;)

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 09:35:10 AM »
While it would be cool to have PM on the iPad Pro, I honestly don't think I'd use it that often.

The main reason being how much slower it is to type (even with the smart keyboard case). I need full captions on anything I send back to the paper and I still think it would be faster to simply pull out my laptop with the regular keyboard then try to use the iPad Pro.

Obviously not everyone needs to type out full captions, just offering my perspective.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2016, 04:24:57 PM »
I think the lack of keyboard shortcuts would be much more of a drawback on a tablet as PM's one of the main boosts in speed and efficiency is keyboard shortcuts.

Of course we aren't all the same, but I don't think typing texsts must be a real issue with an iPad. I have an iPad Mini and I type almost as fast on it as I do on my MacBook (what is not a slow one as I type using 10 fingers and can do it blind as well). I have had similar feelings against typing on the iPad before thus I avoided using it for typing longer texts (long mails, blog posts, articles, etc), but I got more and more used to it and I just observed I started doing most of my text production on the iPad.
Auto corrections can be a pain in the ass as well as great help if it gets trained well or turned off.

Also if typing texts on the iPad is still such a trouble for someone, I think quite some of the captions can be prepared well in advance not needing you to modify it or requiring only a small tweaking here and there. So you can write them on the laptop and copy+paste them on the tablet.
Actually I usually do the exact opposite. I write some or all of my captions on my iPad during boring jobs while waiting for the event to start (or end) and I send it to the laptop to use in PM.

I also prefer using TextExpander shortcuts on both the iOS devices and the MacBook which is a similar assistance to the Code Replacement feature of PM just it works across all the apps I use and it helps a lot with typing the recurring names, phrases, expressions or even parts of sentences, just like a lot of the photo captions. Using such a feature not only helps me to type faster as I have to type only a few characters instead of a full word or sentence, but it also grants the correct spelling if you managed to get it right in the first occasion when you entered your snippets.

There are some customisable keyboards for the iPad too where you can setup your buttons with custom text insertions (like hashtags for social media use) I'm sure one can find and set up quite a lot of the phrase elements to be used in captions, even the most often used names, places, etc.

While it would be cool to have PM on the iPad Pro, I honestly don't think I'd use it that often.

The main reason being how much slower it is to type (even with the smart keyboard case). I need full captions on anything I send back to the paper and I still think it would be faster to simply pull out my laptop with the regular keyboard then try to use the iPad Pro.

Obviously not everyone needs to type out full captions, just offering my perspective.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Hyperblue

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 05:03:32 PM »
I've been using the iPad App "MetaGear" for single and batch IPTC needs. Lightroom is great for flagging though. My workflow has been iPad Card Reader -> Lightroom -> MetaGear