Author Topic: PM5 (V.16438): flashing display after import large files  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Lajos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM5 (V.16438): flashing display after import large files
« on: September 19, 2015, 07:29:40 AM »
Hi all,

my PM5 (V.16438) starts with a flashing display after import large files. I use a brand new mac book pro (10.10.5/AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2GB/16GB Memory). If i import the same files on my old mac pro (10.7.5/NVIDIVA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB/16GB Memory) and macbook pro (10.8.5/Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB/8GB Memory) everything works fine without a flashing display. Support of Apple Care brings out hardware works fine. Anybody any idea? You can see the flashing display here: https://youtu.be/YABGjCgq-pw

Thanks
Lajos

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM5 (V.16438): flashing display after import large files
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 10:01:23 AM »
Lajos,

my PM5 (V.16438) starts with a flashing display after import large files. I use a brand new mac book pro (10.10.5/AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2GB/16GB Memory). If i import the same files on my old mac pro (10.7.5/NVIDIVA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB/16GB Memory) and macbook pro (10.8.5/Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB/8GB Memory) everything works fine without a flashing display. Support of Apple Care brings out hardware works fine. Anybody any idea? You can see the flashing display here: https://youtu.be/YABGjCgq-pw

I don't see how Photo Mechanic could cause your entire display to go black like that unless you were running the Slide Show.  It looks like a hardware problem to me.

-Kirk

Offline Lajos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 01:47:55 PM »
Hi Kirk,

thank you for your attention. Today I spend one hour in the support line to identify any hardware errors. The hardware works fine. I imported the same files in iphoto without any flashing display. Next test was to install PM5 on a clean partition and the display starts flashing again.

Lajos

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 02:07:43 PM »
Lajos,

thank you for your attention. Today I spend one hour in the support line to identify any hardware errors. The hardware works fine. I imported the same files in iphoto without any flashing display. Next test was to install PM5 on a clean partition and the display starts flashing again.

I suggest contacting our direct support people for this issue.  http://www.camerabits.com/support/

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 08:09:34 AM »
Lajos,

One thing came to mind: you're on a laptop, correct?  Photo Mechanic pushes the system resources of all systems that it runs on.  That's one of the ways it gets its speed.  If your MacBook has a modern video adapter in it, it is capable of running in two modes.  One is higher performance, but uses more energy, and the other is lower performance and uses less energy.  By default, "Automatic graphics switching" is enabled and allows the computer to choose when to switch between the two adapters.  Normally this is a completely seamless operation and you won't visually notice the difference.  But I can imagine that on some systems, switching between the two adapters could cause the screen to blank momentarily.  So here is a possible solution:

Open up System Preferences, then the Energy Saver panel, then turn off "Automatic graphics switching" and then close System Preferences.  Then try PM again.  Did that solve the problem?

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Lajos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 05:35:37 AM »
Hi Kirk,

you've got a good mind! Now everything work fine without flashing display. You deserved a beer on the Octoberfest.  ;)

THX Lajos

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 09:02:26 AM »
Lajos,

you've got a good mind! Now everything work fine without flashing display. You deserved a beer on the Octoberfest.  ;)

Really it was kind of a "shot in the dark" and I am pleasantly surprised that it worked.

-Kirk