Author Topic: Spotlight search problems  (Read 2985 times)

Offline Henry Gilbey

• View Profile
Spotlight search problems
« on: September 22, 2015, 10:22:10 PM »
I wonder if anybody could kindly help me, this is driving me mad!!

I have been using the rather clever Spotlight Search facility on my Mac all year, using it to keep track of certain RAW files via executing searches based on specific words I put in the Description/Caption section of the IPTC data sheet.

All was working great, as in I could come back from a shoot, sort out all my RAW files, move them into a certain folder, and then used my Saved Searches to keep track of them...........

But I came back from a shoot in Ireland, did all my usual stuff to my photos, moved the relevant RAW files into the folder that I execute the Spotlight Searches on, but for some reason my Saved Searches are now not picking these new RAW files up - does that make sense? They are in the correct folder because I can go and find them, the relevant IPTC data is in the Description/Caption bit as it always is, yet now when I search, only the RAW files that I shot before this particular Ireland shoot show up.

What am I doing wrong? It was all working so well, such a good way of working for me. I have gone through anything that might be different to before, but as far as I can tell, nothing is, and I think I'm going mad...............thank you in advance for any help

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Spotlight search problems
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 08:37:36 AM »
Hi Henry,

Some questions to start:

1) You say that your saved searches are not working. Will newly created spotlight searches find the new Ireland files?

2) Posting a screenshot of your XMP/IPTC settings in Photo Mechanic may also provide a clue. Could you do that?

-Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Henry Gilbey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 09:01:21 AM »
Mick, many thanks for replying......

To answer your question - no. The latest RAW files I added IPTC data do were done on my laptop as opposed to my desktop, but I have checked the Preferences (attached) and they are both the same on both computers (Mac). I work like this a lot when I am away and this is the first time the Spotlight search has not worked for me.

I have attached a couple of other screenshots for you, but I am not sure this is what you are after? Please advise.

Shot some photos here today, ingested into my desktop, did what I usually do on laptop or desktop and these ones are showing up on a Spotlight search - would love to know how when my Ireland ones are not.

Thanks for any insight......

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 09:08:06 AM »
Are the Ireland images being stored on a network drive?

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Henry Gilbey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 09:09:43 AM »
No Mick - my most recent Ireland RAWs are stored with all the other RAWs on my desktop (and then backed up etc.) - I can see them if I click on the folder, they are there, but the Spotlight search ain't picking these ones up

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 10:08:56 AM »
Hi Henry,

Well, we've cleared all the normal culprits that I know about.  At this point, I might suggest contacting our technical support team directly for some deeper troubleshooting, unless anyone else here on the forum has more ideas.

http://www.camerabits.com/support/

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits