Author Topic: Upload to Amazon Cloud Drive?  (Read 11991 times)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Upload to Amazon Cloud Drive?
« on: September 28, 2015, 09:53:48 AM »
Hi Kirk, I don't know how much the Amazon Cloud Drive API is open or not, would it be hard to add support for it in the Uploader? With its unlimited photo storage, it's becoming nice secondary backup option for my personal photos. Unfortunately, their own uploader app is horrible...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Upload to Amazon Cloud Drive?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 11:21:39 AM »
Frantisek,

Hi Kirk, I don't know how much the Amazon Cloud Drive API is open or not, would it be hard to add support for it in the Uploader? With its unlimited photo storage, it's becoming nice secondary backup option for my personal photos. Unfortunately, their own uploader app is horrible...

We've got one in the works for PM 6.  I do not have a release date for you at this time.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 12:06:07 PM »
Great to hear that anyway!

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 02:52:33 PM »
I tried Amazon S3 -- not sure it that's the same as cloud drive -- and I baled out on it for use as a backup system.   Here's why:

My image files have file create date/times as well as modified date/times.   I copy them to a second drive using Beyond Compare.   When the primary drive datestamp is newer than that of the same file on my backup drive, I do an update.   Easy.  Beyond Compare is beautiful for this.

However, there Amazon considers the date/time that the file appeared on their server to be the create date/time.  As far as I was able to determine, there is no way to override this to use the original file date/time.    Thus, my backup system can't work on Amazon S3. 

Offline nnovod

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 04:44:27 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Is an uploader to Amazon Cloud for secondary storage still in the works?  Given the long wait for PM6 could it be put into a PM5 build?

Thanks,
Nathaniel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 08:42:41 AM »
Nathaniel,

Is an uploader to Amazon Cloud for secondary storage still in the works?  Given the long wait for PM6 could it be put into a PM5 build?

It's on our list of things to implement, but it isn't near the top of the queue.

-Kirk

Offline nnovod

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 06:39:38 AM »
Any chance of adding to PM the ability to have plugins to copy data to secondary storage?  With greater diversity of storage options it's probably unrealistic to expect PM to support them all but a plugin capability would allow easy coverage of storage such as the Amazon cloud (which has an easy to use REST API).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 08:03:05 AM »
Any chance of adding to PM the ability to have plugins to copy data to secondary storage?  With greater diversity of storage options it's probably unrealistic to expect PM to support them all but a plugin capability would allow easy coverage of storage such as the Amazon cloud (which has an easy to use REST API).

Our uploader system is basically a plug-in architecture.  A template is written that supports uploading to a given service and is either added directly into PM's support files, or can be placed anywhere the user desires and the user can tell PM where their custom templates are.  The templates are written in ruby.

-Kirk

Offline nnovod

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 06:37:36 PM »
Is there any documentation available on how to write a template?

Thanks,
Nathaniel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 07:03:11 PM »
Nathaniel,

Is there any documentation available on how to write a template?

No official documentation, though the numerous current templates are good examples.  Though I will say that the job of writing an uploader for Amazon Cloud Drive will be much easier in PM6 because the base ruby interpreter is 2.0 and Amazon's ruby gems could then be used.

-Kirk

Offline nnovod

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 04:50:55 AM »
I'm happy to wait if PM6 will be out fairly soon but, having just joined the forum, I see that the release date of PM6 is a bit of a touchy subject.  Is the release to be fairly soon?

Thanks,
Nathaniel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 06:55:23 AM »
Nathaniel,

I'm happy to wait if PM6 will be out fairly soon but, having just joined the forum, I see that the release date of PM6 is a bit of a touchy subject.  Is the release to be fairly soon?

No release date has been announced.  It will be released as soon as it can be done and having it be a quality release.

I can tell you that lot of custom protocol work would be required for creating an uploader template for ACD in PM5.  In PM6 it will be much easier.

-Kirk

Offline starsphinx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 12:46:02 PM »
Regarding uploading to Amazon drive (please excuse me if I am totally misunderstanding how this works - I am not brilliant with some things computer)  the way my Amazon works is I have a folder on my computer called "Amazon Drive" which I put things in which automatically syncs with my Amazon storage - I can also choose to upload directly without doing this - but I cannot see this folder in the photo mechanic file tree.  There is a "one drive" in the tree which I believe is a similar thing but no Amazon drive.

Why can I not see this folder in the file tree in photo mechanic?  If it was there I could just use photo mechanic to send photos to it.  Or is the fact that I cant see it what this thread is about?  Does there need to be an uploader to "see" the folder on my machine even though what is put in that folder is uploaded by Amazon itself?  All I do at the moment is go to windows explorer, select the pictures I want to upload and pop them in that folder in the normal way - as far as I can see I do exactly the same thing with photo mechanic moving/copying pictures from one folder to another.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 10:08:56 PM »
Regarding uploading to Amazon drive (please excuse me if I am totally misunderstanding how this works - I am not brilliant with some things computer)  the way my Amazon works is I have a folder on my computer called "Amazon Drive" which I put things in which automatically syncs with my Amazon storage - I can also choose to upload directly without doing this - but I cannot see this folder in the photo mechanic file tree.  There is a "one drive" in the tree which I believe is a similar thing but no Amazon drive.

Why can I not see this folder in the file tree in photo mechanic?  If it was there I could just use photo mechanic to send photos to it.  Or is the fact that I cant see it what this thread is about?  Does there need to be an uploader to "see" the folder on my machine even though what is put in that folder is uploaded by Amazon itself?  All I do at the moment is go to windows explorer, select the pictures I want to upload and pop them in that folder in the normal way - as far as I can see I do exactly the same thing with photo mechanic moving/copying pictures from one folder to another.

PM isn't going to be able to access the Amazon Cloud Drive unless it can be mounted as a volume (like a disk).  As far as I know ACD does not become an actual drive on the file system.

Generally for web-based services, an Uploader template must be written to allow sending of files to those services.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 03:09:28 PM »
With the recent price hitches for Amazon Cloud Drive, and their EULA, I guess that becomes a moot point anyway :) I am no longer that much interested since it is less economical to use the service, unfortunately :( Couldn't trust it anyway, since the terms changed so much over the last year or so.