Author Topic: OSX: auto launch on card insert  (Read 3704 times)

Offline salling1000

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
OSX: auto launch on card insert
« on: August 04, 2016, 04:35:56 AM »
Hi,

I have an issue with photo mechanic and auto launch when I insert a card in my card reader. The image capture app of OS X has been told to launch pm once a card has been inserted but it ( image capture) seems to forget cause every time I make the change and insert a card nothing happens. When I open image capture once again, I have to tell it to launch pm. And again Nothing happens.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: OSX: auto launch on card insert
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 08:33:18 AM »
Hi,

I have an issue with photo mechanic and auto launch when I insert a card in my card reader. The image capture app of OS X has been told to launch pm once a card has been inserted but it ( image capture) seems to forget cause every time I make the change and insert a card nothing happens. When I open image capture once again, I have to tell it to launch pm. And again Nothing happens.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Yes.  Anyone using a recent version of Mac OS X is having this problem.  Apple has changed how Image Capture works and it is now mostly unreliable.

There is a fairly involved discussion of the problem here with some possible workarounds.

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=10392

-Kirk

Offline salling1000

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 01:30:18 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I have successfully been using the script that disables Photos from launching for quite some time.

My specific problem is that image capture seems unable to remember that photo mechanic is the chosen app.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 02:53:58 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I have successfully been using the script that disables Photos from launching for quite some time.

My specific problem is that image capture seems unable to remember that photo mechanic is the chosen app.

Right.  Each time you choose PM as the app to launch, it is set for the card you have currently inserted.  If the card is reformatted then when it is remounted, Image Capture no longer remembers the card and does not launch your chosen application.

This is a problem with Image Capture and there is no workaround that always works.  Some users report that Image Capture remembers and launches and other users report that Image Capture forgets their preferences.

We have no solution for you since we cannot fix Image Capture--it's an Apple-supplied application.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 10:23:47 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks

If you've disabled Photos altogether, you have effectively disabled the ability of auto starting altogether. You have to undo that work around and then hope your system works just like mine (and others as described in the post Kirk mentioned) in that you can still format your cards and have photos not start up again.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline salling1000

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 01:00:09 AM »
Great stuff. That seems to do the trick for now. Thanks both of you