Author Topic: Change Color Class Rating and file becomes corrupt  (Read 11026 times)

Offline mightypecan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Change Color Class Rating and file becomes corrupt
« on: December 16, 2017, 06:43:55 AM »
I am using Version 5.0, build 19094 (12cba6f), and I just began having issues while trying to change color class rating. For the record, these are RAW files off of two different Canon 5D Mark III cameras, and the files originated on SD Extreme Pro 32GB cards. Initially I import by copying the files straight from the SD to my desktop, then I take those RAW files into Photo Mechanic. Like many folks, I cull in PM, then I import those photos into LR. While I was culling last night, I was doing my usual 1 (purple) color rating. Of course I changed my mind many times as I'm going through my process and when I press 0, or even if I manually choose the color rating to 'None' by right clicking, the photo file name becomes red and the file is no longer able to be imported into Camera RAW or LR...it essentially becomes corrupt once the metadata is changed. Keep in mind this wasn't in every photo. This also happened again once I had all the photos chosen that I wanted to edit...originally had them color rated, then I wanted to change all their star ratings. 1/4 of them became corrupted. I then had to pull the RAW files off the memory card and choose all them to be imported into LR, outside of Photo Mechanic. Once I did that I was able to edit the file in RAW or LR...none were really corrupted, except after whatever Photo Mechanic was doing to them. Hopefully this makes sense and I'm doing something strange...but I've been using this process for as long as I can remember. Also, for the record, for weddings I go through a more extensive backup prior to culling by copying the files onto multiple drives. This particular shoot was just a practice shoot with a friend, but I'm so thankful it wasn't 800 or more culled photos that had problems...as this small batch of about 90 photos, 18-20 of which became unreadable and I had to search and copy again from SD into the folder to import to LR. Thank you for the help!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Change Color Class Rating and file becomes corrupt
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
I am using Version 5.0, build 19094 (12cba6f), and I just began having issues while trying to change color class rating. For the record, these are RAW files off of two different Canon 5D Mark III cameras, and the files originated on SD Extreme Pro 32GB cards. Initially I import by copying the files straight from the SD to my desktop, then I take those RAW files into Photo Mechanic. Like many folks, I cull in PM, then I import those photos into LR. While I was culling last night, I was doing my usual 1 (purple) color rating. Of course I changed my mind many times as I'm going through my process and when I press 0, or even if I manually choose the color rating to 'None' by right clicking, the photo file name becomes red and the file is no longer able to be imported into Camera RAW or LR...it essentially becomes corrupt once the metadata is changed. Keep in mind this wasn't in every photo. This also happened again once I had all the photos chosen that I wanted to edit...originally had them color rated, then I wanted to change all their star ratings. 1/4 of them became corrupted. I then had to pull the RAW files off the memory card and choose all them to be imported into LR, outside of Photo Mechanic. Once I did that I was able to edit the file in RAW or LR...none were really corrupted, except after whatever Photo Mechanic was doing to them. Hopefully this makes sense and I'm doing something strange...but I've been using this process for as long as I can remember. Also, for the record, for weddings I go through a more extensive backup prior to culling by copying the files onto multiple drives. This particular shoot was just a practice shoot with a friend, but I'm so thankful it wasn't 800 or more culled photos that had problems...as this small batch of about 90 photos, 18-20 of which became unreadable and I had to search and copy again from SD into the folder to import to LR. Thank you for the help!

Please provide a link to your damaged image.  We'd like to check it out.  Having access to the same file (unmodified) would also be useful.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline mightypecan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 12:00:55 PM »
I'm having trouble uploading the damaged file...either attaching here or using WeTransfer. My Mac will also not compress the folder with the damaged file.

https://we.tl/Gamn76kw1V This link is for the original, undamaged file.

Actually, try this dropbox link for the damaged file. https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zb1l6vvo1p8o08/073A7941copy.CR2?dl=0

**Update** For some reason, when I uploaded the damaged file to Dropbox, it isn't corrupted...but the file in the folder I copied from is still damaged. I'm stumped on how to show you exactly what I am seeing.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:15:16 PM by mightypecan »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »
I'm having trouble uploading the damaged file...either attaching here or using WeTransfer. My Mac will also not compress the folder with the damaged file.

https://we.tl/Gamn76kw1V This link is for the original, undamaged file.

Actually, try this dropbox link for the damaged file. https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zb1l6vvo1p8o08/073A7941copy.CR2?dl=0

**Update** For some reason, when I uploaded the damaged file to Dropbox, it isn't corrupted...but the file in the folder I copied from is still damaged. I'm stumped on how to show you exactly what I am seeing.
I haven't yet had a chance to look at the files, but the fact that you can't compress the folder seems suspicious. Also the fact that the uploaded file isn't damaged anymore is very suspect.. Looks like you have a problem with your system, not with PM in particular :(
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Flanfam

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 06:30:55 PM »
I have the same issue noted below and in the posts I don't actually see a resolution.
I am using PM on a MAC working on RAW + JPEG files for both a Canon 6D and also a Canon G7X.
The 6D RAW files are corrupted after I do any rating 1-8.  On the same list of photos from the G7X, no impact.  I can do the star or color ratings just fine.
I have reloaded the images from the card and started again and the problem persists.  I ended up moving the files manually to LR to get through the problem, but it has really wreaked havoc on my workflow and image management.
Did you ever get a solution? 
My PM is up to date and My MAC is up to date.
Thanks for the help.
D

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 08:36:07 AM »
I have the same issue noted below and in the posts I don't actually see a resolution.
I am using PM on a MAC working on RAW + JPEG files for both a Canon 6D and also a Canon G7X.
The 6D RAW files are corrupted after I do any rating 1-8.  On the same list of photos from the G7X, no impact.  I can do the star or color ratings just fine.
I have reloaded the images from the card and started again and the problem persists.  I ended up moving the files manually to LR to get through the problem, but it has really wreaked havoc on my workflow and image management.
Did you ever get a solution? 
My PM is up to date and My MAC is up to date.

What version of macOS are you running?  What is the format of the drive that the images are stored on?  APFS?  HFS+?  FAT32?

In the meantime I suggest that you use an XMP sidecar workflow and disallow PM from modifying RAW files.  See attached image.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 10:36:45 AM »
I haven't been able to recreate this file corruption issue on my systems. Please help us by providing answers to the questions below.

What operating system is on your computer (macOS 10.11.6, 10.13.2)?
Where were the images located (internal HD, Camera Card, etc.)?
What file system is on the drive where the images are located (APFS, ExFAT)?
How much available disk space is on the volume where the images are located?
Were the files open in any application other than Photo Mechanic?
Are you running any Anti-Virus software on your system?

Thank you.

-Jerry

Offline csalata

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site | Work Site
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 10:33:01 AM »
Hi Jerry,

I have been having the same issue for the past two days. The on difference is that I have been tagging the images.

Occasionally after I tag an image, the thumbnail will disappear and the file will be recognized as corrupted by Lightroom. My SSD checks out as okay and the partition that contains the images passes First Aid in Disc Utility. What seems to clear the problem is running First Aid on the partition with PM. The next time I have an issue, I will send you the file.

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina running 10.13.2. The SSD has two partitions and both are APFS.

The files were located on a separate partition from Photo Mechanic (I have one for storage and one for MacOs + apps).

Both partitions had plenty of available disc space.

The files were only open in PM.

No anti-virus software is running.

The files are RAW files from a 5D Mark IV.

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 10:26:13 AM »
Thank you for the information.

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina running 10.13.2. The SSD has two partitions and both are APFS.

Is this APFS drive encrypted or case-sensitive?

-Jerry

Offline csalata

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 10:27:56 AM »
Both APFS partitions are NOT case sensitive or encrypted.

Offline csalata

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 09:44:08 AM »
This happened again today. I tried to copy the file using the PM copy dialog but it would not work. I also tried using Finder and it generated an error: "Some data in this file cannot be read or written." It did eventually copy over and I can send the file to you. Please let me know the procedure for doing so.

FYI, I updated my operating system to 10.13.3 overnight to resolve an issue I was having with an SMB share.   

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 10:24:15 AM »
I'll send you a personal message with instructions on how to send us the file.

Thanks,

-Jerry

Offline csalata

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 10:55:33 AM »
Any progress?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 11:37:32 AM »
Any progress?

We are now able to reproduce the problem locally and are working on the issue.  In the meantime, we suggest either not using APFS volumes, or using an XMP sidecar workflow and additionally set PM to not allow modifications to RAW files.

-Kirk

Offline csalata

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 12:31:30 PM »
Thank you!