Author Topic: {names} of IPTC fields for file and directory naming  (Read 5458 times)

Offline big0mike

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
{names} of IPTC fields for file and directory naming
« on: April 29, 2018, 08:20:32 PM »
I recently concluded a job for a company covering a foam obstacle run. They sent me a laptop to work on images and in their PhotoMechanic they have a bunch of custom fields that are used to rename images and place them in directories based on contents of the IPTC stationery pad.

Is there a Master List of what names each IPTC field is referenced by when committing operations like this?

Secondly, I'm editing my IPTC stationery fields and I am unable to drag/drop some fields from Column 1 to Column 2. Two specifically are Description/Caption and Description Writers. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: {names} of IPTC fields for file and directory naming
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 10:27:11 PM »
Mike,

I recently concluded a job for a company covering a foam obstacle run. They sent me a laptop to work on images and in their PhotoMechanic they have a bunch of custom fields that are used to rename images and place them in directories based on contents of the IPTC stationery pad.

Is there a Master List of what names each IPTC field is referenced by when committing operations like this?

Yes, in the Variables palette (button accessible in most dialogs that use variables) and in the documentation:

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Variables_List

Secondly, I'm editing my IPTC stationery fields and I am unable to drag/drop some fields from Column 1 to Column 2. Two specifically are Description/Caption and Description Writers. Any thoughts on this?

What build of PM are you running and on what OS are you running PM on?

-Kirk

Offline big0mike

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 10:50:44 PM »
Mike,

Yes, in the Variables palette (button accessible in most dialogs that use variables) and in the documentation:

Well... duh... What was I thinking?

Build 19395 on Win10.

When I tried to drag those fields to the second column they just disappear from the first without going to the second. I scanned the list several times in case it got lost or jumbled farther down the list but they just disappear.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:53:03 PM by big0mike »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 09:01:22 AM »
Mike,

Well... duh... What was I thinking?

Build 19395 on Win10.

When I tried to drag those fields to the second column they just disappear from the first without going to the second. I scanned the list several times in case it got lost or jumbled farther down the list but they just disappear.

OK, I'd suggest resetting to the defaults and start over.  If the problem persists, then please contact support:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2800 option 2

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

Offline big0mike

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 08:36:43 PM »
I didn't reset and try from scratch on this machine but I did update the actual workstation I'd be using this on to 19395 and tried it from that machine with the same results: Those two fields just disappear. Others work fine. Obviously, I didn't try them all but there may or may not be others that don't wanna switch sides.

I'm actually not terribly concerned with this but I do have another question. Here's the string I'm using to copy the files to the hard drive (might be a typo or two but you'll get it):

{iptcmonth0}-{iptcday0} {transref} {headline}\{photog}_FP{source}_{category}_{suppcat1}_{suppcat2}

Both suppcat1 and suppcat2 are OPTIONAL and may not be present. If they are blank I get extra _ or two. Is there a way to make the underscore appear only if the following variable is not empty?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 08:09:17 AM »
Mike,

Here's the string I'm using to copy the files to the hard drive (might be a typo or two but you'll get it):

{iptcmonth0}-{iptcday0} {transref} {headline}\{photog}_FP{source}_{category}_{suppcat1}_{suppcat2}

Both suppcat1 and suppcat2 are OPTIONAL and may not be present. If they are blank I get extra _ or two. Is there a way to make the underscore appear only if the following variable is not empty?

No, there is no way to cause characters after variables that evaluate to nothing to be omitted.

-Kirk