Author Topic: Confused by Filter and Browsing  (Read 4980 times)

Offline photomy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Confused by Filter and Browsing
« on: December 15, 2019, 09:09:01 AM »
Is it not hat all catalog searching is a selection, filter, what ever word you wish  OR selecting NOT this and all with the particular attribute are eliminated from the selection.

Just a single list (rather than Filter and Browse) of searchable attributes similar to FIND and each one has the option to reverse the selection seemd would make sense.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Confused by Filter and Browsing
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 09:49:53 AM »
I'm sorry but I don't follow, please rephrase.

-Kirk

Offline photomy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 10:40:56 AM »
Sorry was in a hurry to help wife.

When selecting a smaller group from a larger group it is the same process whether you call it Browser or Filter.  Filter is the notion of removing a group based on an attriubute - Browsing is selecting, based on an attribute, and removing those NOT selected.  The result is the same - a smaller set from the larger.  The word you call it is not relevant and it seems confusing to me to have both Filter and Browser tabs when you are really doing the same action.

Instead, have one selection/filter process tab (call it Filter or whatever),  have many metadata attributes to select/search from and have the following options:  1) be able to turn on or off the filter easily   2) be able to the opposite affect of the filter (NOT filter choice  or "all except").

Hopefully this is more clear.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 12:41:29 PM »
Hmm, don’t think I agree. I use both and to me they serve a different purpose. I’d like them to be available both if you don’t mind :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 07:14:46 PM »
When selecting a smaller group from a larger group it is the same process whether you call it Browser or Filter.  Filter is the notion of removing a group based on an attriubute - Browsing is selecting, based on an attribute, and removing those NOT selected.  The result is the same - a smaller set from the larger.  The word you call it is not relevant and it seems confusing to me to have both Filter and Browser tabs when you are really doing the same action.

They're not the same thing.  Browse starts with nothing and as you select items in the tree you get more results.  Filter starts with everything and as you select items you get fewer results.

They're both useful in my book.

-Kirk

Offline kclaar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 12:44:52 PM »
I can see where both sides are coming from.... from what I've read in the threads, may I put this forward?

It seems that a number of people are asking for a Query by Example (QBE) type search, especially those who may be migrating from other software.

In PM6+, there is now Search, Filter and Browse. The one point being made is that the end result is that one is, by selections, arriving at the set pf images you want. The implementation is whether you start with all the images selected (Filter) or none of the images selected (Browse).

That could be the first question on a QBE panel - start with ALL the images selected or NONE of the images selected. Then searchable field names with combinations of AND/OR and search strings (which constitute the EXISTS) or NULL (nothing entered), the result of which will build the SQL string.

Just the beginnings of an idea of something that may make it easier and still provide the functionality that is there now, just another way of looking at it.

-- Ken

Offline photomy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 09:39:02 AM »
I was thinking along the style of how Daminion DAM software does it.  Kind of neat and simple, but still quite a few attribute selection choices.

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 06:17:26 PM »
The current system is just fine the way it is.