Author Topic: A Metadata List View  (Read 6846 times)

Offline ibgb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
A Metadata List View
« on: March 16, 2020, 05:04:10 AM »
Photo mechanic plus: have a metadata list-view. Right now there are only thumbnails with at most 3 meta-data to see, but all the  important metadata is buried deep inside of the thumbnails. One can see a line or two of metadata, but what would be useful would be to see a screen which lists out the metadata. I don't know if you ever seen aperture, but they have such a view. In Aperture you can select which fields/columns you want, then list out the info, as well as sort by any column. This would be good for regular PM as well.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: A Metadata List View
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 08:59:29 AM »
Photo mechanic plus: have a metadata list-view. Right now there are only thumbnails with at most 3 meta-data to see, but all the  important metadata is buried deep inside of the thumbnails. One can see a line or two of metadata, but what would be useful would be to see a screen which lists out the metadata. I don't know if you ever seen aperture, but they have such a view. In Aperture you can select which fields/columns you want, then list out the info, as well as sort by any column. This would be good for regular PM as well.

The Info Text pane of the Preview window does this.  You can customize what appears in the panel and control the height of the pane.

-Kirk

Offline ibgb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 01:19:44 PM »
I will try to explain better.
I am talking about a list view with the metadata for the image files listed out in columns and rows, like a spreadsheet. Each row would be the metadata from an image and user selectable metadata columns. One could quickly see missing or wrong metadata by scrolling through the view. An implementation of this that I am trying to descibe is attached, from Aperture.

I do believe others have requested something like this as well.

It's useful; not your number 1 priority now, I am sure, but still its useful.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 01:38:39 PM »
I will try to explain better.
I am talking about a list view with the metadata for the image files listed out in columns and rows, like a spreadsheet. Each row would be the metadata from an image and user selectable metadata columns. One could quickly see missing or wrong metadata by scrolling through the view. An implementation of this that I am trying to descibe is attached, from Aperture.

I do believe others have requested something like this as well.

It's useful; not your number 1 priority now, I am sure, but still its useful.

Ah, yes.  "List View" has been requested a number of times.

-Kirk

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 03:19:17 PM »
Any time I want something like that, which I admit is not often, I use "export / text exporter" to generate an appropriate csv file for use in an external spread sheet.

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 03:50:12 PM »
For the benefit of the original poster (and others who are new to the beta)...

Here's the (my) original feature request for List View (including use cases, specs):

Feature Request: List View

If it were part of PM+ I would use it every day as part of my regular work flow (not for exporting .cvs files, but for routine viewing, sorting, metadata editing etc.).
-- Mark

Offline esambo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 07:53:01 AM »
The Info Text pane of the Preview window doesn't offer any formatting to create a two column view, which makes it even harder trying to see and compare the differences in a particular metadata field