Author Topic: Delete EXIF at FTP dialog  (Read 3814 times)

Offline Morio Taga

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Delete EXIF at FTP dialog
« on: May 22, 2020, 12:08:14 PM »
Hi,

Is it possible to add an option checkbox for deletion of EXIF to the FTP dialog?

I keep EXIF information in photo basically, but want to delete these when I distribute photos to clients.

There is a Delete Metadata item in the Tools menu, but it becomes easier if I can choose checkbox in the FTP dialog.

Thanks.

Morio Taga

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Delete EXIF at FTP dialog
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 01:12:10 PM »
Morio,

Is it possible to add an option checkbox for deletion of EXIF to the FTP dialog?

I keep EXIF information in photo basically, but want to delete these when I distribute photos to clients.

Not when sending originals, but if you send as JPEG and cause some image processing to occur and uncheck the "Preserve EXIF information when possible" it should cause JPEGs with minimal EXIF to be sent.  You should test this for yourself however.

-Kirk

Offline Morio Taga

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 10:31:19 PM »
Kirk,

Not when sending originals, but if you send as JPEG and cause some image processing to occur and uncheck the "Preserve EXIF information when possible" it should cause JPEGs with minimal EXIF to be sent.  You should test this for yourself however.

Thank you for quick reply. It worked as expected.
I never thought that the check box appears when chose Send as JPEG.

I have an additional question regarding this, will photo be saved again if "send as JPEG" is specified? I would like to know if it affects the image quality. (it seems that the file size hasn't changed, though.)

Morio

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 10:56:34 PM »
Morio,

Thank you for quick reply. It worked as expected.
I never thought that the check box appears when chose Send as JPEG.

I have an additional question regarding this, will photo be saved again if "send as JPEG" is specified? I would like to know if it affects the image quality. (it seems that the file size hasn't changed, though.)

Odd that the file size hasn't changed.  If the EXIF was removed then the size should decrease.  If it re-encoded the file, then the file size would also change.  Sounds like you ended up sending the original JPEG.

-Kirk

Offline Morio Taga

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 12:32:02 AM »
Odd that the file size hasn't changed.

Yes, it's really strange.
 I sent files with uncheck the "Preserve EXIF information when possible", and also confirmed that there is no EXIF in the file.

Anyway, thank you very much for telling me how to delete EXIF in the FTP dialog. It might have been basic knowledge but it was a great help for me.

Morio

Offline Morio Taga

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 01:17:51 AM »
I just noticed that I should have posted this article on the category of the Photo Mechanic, not on the Photo Mechanic Plus Beta.