Author Topic: Catalog size expectations  (Read 3948 times)

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
Catalog size expectations
« on: June 30, 2019, 06:31:26 AM »
Wondering what sort of size to expect for my catalog. I have been cataloguing in Lightroom and currently have a catalog size of 4Gb for 180K images. It runs pretty well and with the ability to drop previews the catalog previews and smart previews files are only currently 5Gb and 10Gb respectively. This all seems pretty good to me. I tried to catalogue in C1Pro but this was a a non starter because the catalogue swelled quickly to a size that wasn't practical for my MBP to store. How does the PM6+ catalog compare in size to LR?

I'd be keen to shift over to PM6+ as I don't use LR for Raw processing and I've been a PM user for around 10 years with extremely few issues.

Offline Matthew

• View Profile
    • matt-horwood.com
Re: Catalog size expectations
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 11:00:14 AM »
Catalog size with approx. 300k images is about 75gb here.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 12:11:05 PM »
Hi,
I am currently using PM's catalog without generating previews and thumbnail proxy images (you can find the option in Menu/Manage Catalogs). It works really fine (with external hd attached) and it is pretty small.
Regards,
- Luiz Muzzi

Offline JSW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 03:25:23 AM »
Has this changed? I can't see an option to use PM+ without generating previews. If it could use the already generated built-in thumbnails that would be great, but I can't see how to do this.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 09:11:41 AM »
Has this changed? I can't see an option to use PM+ without generating previews. If it could use the already generated built-in thumbnails that would be great, but I can't see how to do this.

Answered here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13743.msg71174#msg71174