Author Topic: My Pictures Folder Lost redux  (Read 4366 times)

Offline sailfree

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
My Pictures Folder Lost redux
« on: August 19, 2007, 11:10:54 AM »
I posted earlier that Navigator does not display the My Pictures folder under My Documents and I have to click on "open" to get to the Browse for Folder window in order to navigate to the My Pictures folder.  The folder is not hidden or encrypted.  In Navigator if I try to use the path c:\Documents and Settings\Bob\My Documents... the My Documents folder is missing although it appears in Navigator under Desktop.

The response last time was to wait for 4.5.2.  It didn't fix the problem.  I can't understand why Navigator doesn't display the same tree as the Browse for Folder window.  Any ideas before I give up on PM would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: My Pictures Folder Lost redux
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 06:40:12 PM »
I posted earlier that Navigator does not display the My Pictures folder under My Documents and I have to click on "open" to get to the Browse for Folder window in order to navigate to the My Pictures folder.  The folder is not hidden or encrypted.  In Navigator if I try to use the path c:\Documents and Settings\Bob\My Documents... the My Documents folder is missing although it appears in Navigator under Desktop.

The response last time was to wait for 4.5.2.  It didn't fix the problem.  I can't understand why Navigator doesn't display the same tree as the Browse for Folder window.

I'm sorry that the new version did not fix your problem.  Please try experimenting with the two Preferences sub-menu items that allow you to show hidden and system folders.  If your "My Documents" folder still does not show up after turning on both of those items, then please let me know and I will have to get a logging version out to you to help me diagnose the problem.

-Kirk

Offline sailfree

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 11:47:50 AM »
I couldn't find any reference to hidden or system files in PM's preferences so I'm assuming you were referring to Windows Folder Options.  If so, both my hidden and system files are set to be visible so I guess I need the 'logging version.'  Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 01:30:26 PM »
I couldn't find any reference to hidden or system files in PM's preferences so I'm assuming you were referring to Windows Folder Options.  If so, both my hidden and system files are set to be visible so I guess I need the 'logging version.' 

Before we go there, it sounds like you do not understand what I explained to you earlier.  In the Navigator, right-click on any folder and a contextual menu will appear.  At the bottom of the menu is a sub-menu titled Preferences.  It has two options that allow you to choose the visibility of certain file system attributes.  I would like for you to experiment with those settings to see if they cause your My Pictures folder to appear or not.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline sailfree

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 02:57:54 AM »
Got it.  Show System Folders did the trick.  Wonder why only the My Pictures folder disappears.  Anyway, problem solved.  Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 06:37:01 AM »
Got it.  Show System Folders did the trick.  Wonder why only the My Pictures folder disappears.  Anyway, problem solved.  Thanks.

OK, so somehow the 'system' attribute got added to your folder.

Here is an article that tells how the 'system' attribute gets added to some folders (it happens when you customize view options for a folder) and how you can remove the attribute if you'd like:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

HTH,

-Kirk