Author Topic: corrupt CR2 files (random)  (Read 5230 times)

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
corrupt CR2 files (random)
« on: October 18, 2007, 12:02:06 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Doing a batch conversion/resize using "Save As" of images from summer and finding the odd RAW file corrupt.  Embedded JPG looks fine in PM 4.5.3 [beta], but after the Save, the image is garbled into 'polarized/static'.  Note: that when I subsequently open CR2 file in ACR 4.3, the source show the same corrupted feature.  Guessing this is apt to be a glitch in my Canon 5D or my CF card, but thought you should be aware of the discovery. 

Cheers, Craig
(250) 833-6548

[Macbook Pro/OSx; PM 4.5.3 beta]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: corrupt CR2 files (random)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 12:12:26 PM »
Craig,

Doing a batch conversion/resize using "Save As" of images from summer and finding the odd RAW file corrupt.  Embedded JPG looks fine in PM 4.5.3 [beta], but after the Save, the image is garbled into 'polarized/static'.  Note: that when I subsequently open CR2 file in ACR 4.3, the source show the same corrupted feature.  Guessing this is apt to be a glitch in my Canon 5D or my CF card, but thought you should be aware of the discovery. 

What does the image look like if you open it up in the Preview application?  Is it also distorted?

-Kirk

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 02:30:45 PM »
Kirk: the previews (thumb and enlargement) of the CR2 file looks fine.  It's only when I try to open the RAW in ARC or look at PM's rendered JPG through the Save Photos As feature that it is garbled. 

~ CP

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 02:39:57 PM »
Craig,

Kirk: the previews (thumb and enlargement) of the CR2 file looks fine.  It's only when I try to open the RAW in ARC or look at PM's rendered JPG through the Save Photos As feature that it is garbled. 

That's PM's Preview window.  In the Applications folder on your Mac, there is an application called Preview that can show images.  Please let me know what your image looks like in the Preview application.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 03:00:10 PM »
It's the same thing only different...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 03:52:58 PM »
Craig,

It's the same thing only different...

OK, then that explains why PM is giving you the same results when you do a Save As in PM.  We use the same RAW rendering technology that the Preview application uses.

If you want to try and salvage these photos, you can use the "Extract JPEG Previews from RAW photos" command on the Tools menu.

-Kirk

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 05:34:37 PM »
Thanks Kirk,

Tried using DPP to convert file to TIFF and JPG and got message: ERROR Decoding Failed.  I did manage to extract the embedded JPG, but it's a 1.4Mb file... oh well.  That particular file wasn't a critical one, but the scary thing is that there are other corrupted files in the mix from a pretty outstanding day.

Has anyone out there run into this before?  Any suggestions as to nature of problem: EOS 5D or the 4Gb CF card?

~ Craig