Author Topic: Extract/Merge Keywords from Images to other Images  (Read 16324 times)

Offline RipIt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Extract/Merge Keywords from Images to other Images
« on: April 30, 2008, 07:02:16 PM »
Is it possible to extract keywords from an image or multiple images and merge or apply those keywords to images based on their names.

IE. image1.jpg - extract keywords and apply to image1.cr2 or image1.dng

Preferably looking to do this with multiple images automatically rather than a simple copying of the data to paste.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Extract/Merge Keywords from Images to other Images
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 08:18:18 PM »
Is it possible to extract keywords from an image or multiple images and merge or apply those keywords to images based on their names.

IE. image1.jpg - extract keywords and apply to image1.cr2 or image1.dng

Preferably looking to do this with multiple images automatically rather than a simple copying of the data to paste.

You can use the "Update IPTC/XMP" command on the Tools menu to sync up metadata from a JPEG to a RAW file (or the other way) as long as they are a RAW+JPEG pair.  But all caption metadata will synchronize, not just the Keywords field.  If you're looking for that specifically, then I have no solution for you.

-Kirk

Offline RipIt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 09:36:23 PM »
Ok I understand the RAW + JPG pairing as it relates to shooting in the camera. So the question now is:
If one were to create jpgs from Raw files where only the extension changes, will PM treat them as a pair?
In addition, will the sync process you describe handle multiple files?

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 09:59:18 PM »
Ok I understand the RAW + JPG pairing as it relates to shooting in the camera. So the question now is:
If one were to create jpgs from Raw files where only the extension changes, will PM treat them as a pair?
In addition, will the sync process you describe handle multiple files?

Yes and yes.

-Kirk

Offline RipIt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 01:06:28 PM »
Excellent, thank you for your quick replies.
if I may take this topic a step further.

Is it possible to automatically take those keywords (and any other data) from the jpg not only to the RAW but also a PSD or TIFF derivative of the raw?

Or, where a RAW file does not exist, take from the jpg to the PSD or TIFF that was the only available "master" from which the jpg is created.

If this is not currently possible, again automatically as with the Update IPTC/XMP command, I would be interested to discover if it was a limitation of this program in its current form and could be implemented in future revisions or if it is a limitation of the file formats themselves.

Why is a DNG not treated as a RAW for the purpose of pairing. Can it be in future revisions?

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 02:03:43 PM »
David,

Excellent, thank you for your quick replies.
if I may take this topic a step further.

Is it possible to automatically take those keywords (and any other data) from the jpg not only to the RAW but also a PSD or TIFF derivative of the raw?

Or, where a RAW file does not exist, take from the jpg to the PSD or TIFF that was the only available "master" from which the jpg is created.

If this is not currently possible, again automatically as with the Update IPTC/XMP command, I would be interested to discover if it was a limitation of this program in its current form and could be implemented in future revisions or if it is a limitation of the file formats themselves.

It is a limitation of the application in its current form.

Quote from: RipIt
Why is a DNG not treated as a RAW for the purpose of pairing. Can it be in future revisions?

Because DNG (for almost all cameras) currently is not something that a camera creates.  I suppose we could change it so that when RAW+JPEG mode is selected and there isn't a 'native' RAW file available, that a DNG be paired with the JPEG.

-Kirk

Offline rnaphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 04:35:11 PM »
RipIt,

An even better reason is that a DNG file can have a full size camera resolution embedded in it that reflects all your image adjustments- so why would you want to pair it with another Jpeg?

Richard Anderson

Offline RipIt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 05:54:24 PM »
For the purpose of transferring metadata and in particular keywords that were entered in to the jpg file at a remote location by someone who wont have access to the DNG files

Offline rnaphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 08:44:46 AM »
RipIt

Got it...

Richard Anderson

Offline Todd Smith

• Newcomer
  • I love Photo Mechanic!
    • View Profile
    • Fine Art Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 01:31:17 PM »
I am also very interested in this feature.  I use an online application to create framed prints.  The resulting jpg images of the framed prints do not have the IPTC info that my original images do.  I would like to transfer the IPTC info from my original images to my framed print images.  I would especially be interested in doing this in bulk. 

Thanks,
Todd
Todd Smith Photography
P.O. Box 1802
Oroville, WA 98844
509-340-3505
http://www.toddsmithphotography.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 02:44:20 PM »
Todd,

I am also very interested in this feature.  I use an online application to create framed prints.  The resulting jpg images of the framed prints do not have the IPTC info that my original images do.  I would like to transfer the IPTC info from my original images to my framed print images.  I would especially be interested in doing this in bulk.

I don't have a bulk solution for you but you can Copy and Paste IPTC from one image to another from the Edit menu in the Contact Sheet.  For bulk processing I would recommend ExifTool which you can obtain free from the internet:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

-Kirk

Offline Todd Smith

• Newcomer
  • I love Photo Mechanic!
    • View Profile
    • Fine Art Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 03:20:17 PM »
Wow!  Thanks, Kirk.  I will definitely check out the ExifTool you mentioned.  And I didn't know you could copy all the EXIF data for an image within Photo Mechanic from the Contact Sheet.  Will definitely give that a try as well.  Thanks, Todd   :o
Todd Smith Photography
P.O. Box 1802
Oroville, WA 98844
509-340-3505
http://www.toddsmithphotography.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 03:31:25 PM »
Todd,

Wow!  Thanks, Kirk.  I will definitely check out the ExifTool you mentioned.  And I didn't know you could copy all the EXIF data for an image within Photo Mechanic from the Contact Sheet.  Will definitely give that a try as well.

IPTC/XMP only, not EXIF.

-Kirk

Offline Todd Smith

• Newcomer
  • I love Photo Mechanic!
    • View Profile
    • Fine Art Photography
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »
yes, that's what I meant.  sorry.
Todd Smith Photography
P.O. Box 1802