Author Topic: Star Ratings from Lightroom to PhotoMechanic  (Read 5477 times)

Offline rjphoto13

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Star Ratings from Lightroom to PhotoMechanic
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:38:56 PM »
When I apply a star rating (5 stars for my tests) in Lightroom, I can't get PhotoMechanic to recognize that rating when I view the files through PM.  I have Lightroom set to Update XMP, and Expressions Media 2 has no problem seeing the ratings applied by Lightroom.  I should also note that Lightroom had no problems seeing ratings applied through PhotoMechanic.  The only problem is PhotoMechanic seeing star ratings applied in Lightroom. 

I am running OSX 10.5.4, 1.5 Gb Ram, 1.5 ghz PowerPC with PM version 4.5.3.2 public beta 6

Thanks in advance for your help.

-R.J.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Star Ratings from Lightroom to PhotoMechanic
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:56:36 PM »
R.J.,

When I apply a star rating (5 stars for my tests) in Lightroom, I can't get PhotoMechanic to recognize that rating when I view the files through PM.  I have Lightroom set to Update XMP, and Expressions Media 2 has no problem seeing the ratings applied by Lightroom.  I should also note that Lightroom had no problems seeing ratings applied through PhotoMechanic.  The only problem is PhotoMechanic seeing star ratings applied in Lightroom. 

I am running OSX 10.5.4, 1.5 Gb Ram, 1.5 ghz PowerPC with PM version 4.5.3.2 public beta 6

Is the XMP sidecar file updated with the new star rating value?

-Kirk

Offline rjphoto13

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 10:02:14 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Sorry for the novice question, but how would one view the sidecar files?  I can't seem to find any option to see them.  I was rating Canon .CR2 files and was under the impression the metadata was embedded directly into the RAW file.  Thanks again for your help.

-R.J.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 10:31:24 AM »
R.J.,

Sorry for the novice question, but how would one view the sidecar files?  I can't seem to find any option to see them.  I was rating Canon .CR2 files and was under the impression the metadata was embedded directly into the RAW file.  Thanks again for your help.

Adobe's products are not capable of embedding IPTC or XMP metadata into RAW files (it is a design decision on their part) so they produce files with a .XMP extension.  They are XML text files.

You should set PM to work with XMP sidecar files if you want to work with Adobe products.  The built-in help files in version 4.5.3.2 cover setting up Photo Mechanic to work with Adobe products.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline rjphoto13

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 03:11:05 PM »
Thanks for the help, Kirk.  Setting up my preferences for Adobe did the trick!

-R.J.