Author Topic: Ingesting Workflow Question  (Read 5020 times)

Offline StephenKennedy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingesting Workflow Question
« on: July 15, 2006, 02:33:23 PM »
I've searched for an answer to this question and haven't found anything so forgive me if it's been addressed.

Currently I'm using a Mac Powerbook (OS 10.4.6) with a firewire 400 card reader connected to the FW port for ingesting images from CF cards.  I'd like to take advantage of ingesting to a duplicate folder for redundancy.

If I place the second folder on a separate firewire drive connected and powered through an adapter card in the PCMCIA slot, will I slow down the ingest process? 

To rephrase the question, is there a speed hit when ingesting to two drives?

To re-rephrase the question, what is the fastest way to ingest and still have a copy on a separate folder?

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
Re: Ingesting Workflow Question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 03:39:55 PM »
Hi Stephen,

I don't actually have an answer for you, but it would seem to me that the simplest way to find out would be to actually do the ingest in each of the ways you suggest and time each version. Then, of course, you could post your results and let us all know.  ;)

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingesting Workflow Question
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 04:45:40 PM »
Stephen,

I've searched for an answer to this question and haven't found anything so forgive me if it's been addressed.

Currently I'm using a Mac Powerbook (OS 10.4.6) with a firewire 400 card reader connected to the FW port for ingesting images from CF cards.  I'd like to take advantage of ingesting to a duplicate folder for redundancy.

If I place the second folder on a separate firewire drive connected and powered through an adapter card in the PCMCIA slot, will I slow down the ingest process? 

To rephrase the question, is there a speed hit when ingesting to two drives?

To re-rephrase the question, what is the fastest way to ingest and still have a copy on a separate folder?

There is indeed a speed hit for ingesting to two destinations at once.  But it is still the fastest and safest way to accomplish what you are looking for.

-Kirk