Author Topic: Snow Leopard update  (Read 24605 times)

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Snow Leopard update
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 10:39:46 AM »
Hi Kirk
thanks for your quick reply I am using a sandisk CF card reader model SDDR-92 with sandisk 4GB Extreme IV cards also same with Sandisk Ultra 3 cards

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 01:15:53 PM »
thanks for your quick reply I am using a sandisk CF card reader model SDDR-92 with sandisk 4GB Extreme IV cards also same with Sandisk Ultra 3 cards

Could you please take a picture of the reader and the cards and post it as a JPEG?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 01:25:12 PM »
here you go

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 01:33:22 PM »
here you go

Thanks.  Is the reader Firewire 400, Firewire 800, or USB 2.0?

I have a Sandisk Firewire 800 reader (Model #SDDRX4-CF) and a Lexar 300x 4 GB card and can download at 44 MB/sec (entire download took 1:38) with 4.6.2 beta on Snow Leopard 10.6.1.

Have you tried any other readers?  If you remove the reader, wait 30 seconds, plug it back in, and then copy with the Finder to your hard drive, does it copy quickly then?

-Kirk

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 01:44:10 PM »
Have tried a couple of readers and both were about the same
They are USB2
have not had chance to try with finder yet but will do tomorrow

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 12:28:50 AM »
Have just checked and PM is copying across 305MB from a card in 40secs and finder is taking around 20 secs to copy the pictures is this normal that PM takes longer than finder?
this is a lot quicker than yesterday don't know why as I had done a restart yesterday and it was the same taking along time to copy the pictures

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
    • Hotel Resort Photography
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 01:57:06 AM »
Hi

I too have an issue with slow ingest

This is a patchy problem: sometimes it imports like a dream; sometimes slow as hell
Seems to not be related to individual cards. Will try disconnecting reader for 30 seconds as per your previous post

I am using 4gb Sandisk IV Extreme CF cards with Lexar Firewire 800 reader  http://www.lexarmedia.com/readers/pro_udma_reader.html  and latest Apple MB Pro 15"  2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gb Ram, 7200 HD

Actually I am going to try out new reader technology mentioned in superb Rob Galbraith article here once Sonnet make their reader Snow Leopard compatible and probably new Sandisk Extreme Pro. (Transfer time is a real issue for me)

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10043-10255

Sonnet
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/produalcfadapterexpress34.html

FWIW I have also posted feedback to Apple re Snow Leopard slow ejection of discs

Best

Stephen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 07:01:46 AM »
Have just checked and PM is copying across 305MB from a card in 40secs and finder is taking around 20 secs to copy the pictures is this normal that PM takes longer than finder?
this is a lot quicker than yesterday don't know why as I had done a restart yesterday and it was the same taking along time to copy the pictures

Photo Mechanic should always be slower than the Finder, but the difference shouldn't be dramatic on full cards.  Photo Mechanic parses each file for its EXIF data, Maker Notes, etc. which the Finder does not do at all.  Photo Mechanic also scans the directories to pair up RAW and JPEG files so that they're worked on together, and the Finder does not.

The overhead is significant but has less impact on larger, full cards.  For instance on a 4GB card that is full, the Finder will copy it in 1:15.  Photo Mechanic will copy that same data in 1:38.  These timings are on my Mac OS X system with a Firewire 800 Sandisk CF card reader and a 300x Lexar 4GB card.

I have heard several reports of people experiencing slowness for a period of time and that when they reboot some time later the slowness is gone.  Sounds like bugs in Snow Leopard to me.  Since I cannot reproduce the problems myself and file a reproducible case, I have not filed a bug on this issue with Apple.  I have filed several others by the way.

Even though we have this new updated version that attempts to workaround the worst issues in Snow Leopard, I still suggest that if you're running an earlier version of Mac OS X, now is not the time to upgrade to Snow Leopard.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 07:04:49 AM »
Stephen,

I too have an issue with slow ingest

This is a patchy problem: sometimes it imports like a dream; sometimes slow as hell
Seems to not be related to individual cards. Will try disconnecting reader for 30 seconds as per your previous post

I am using 4gb Sandisk IV Extreme CF cards with Lexar Firewire 800 reader  http://www.lexarmedia.com/readers/pro_udma_reader.html  and latest Apple MB Pro 15"  2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gb Ram, 7200 HD

Actually I am going to try out new reader technology mentioned in superb Rob Galbraith article here once Sonnet make their reader Snow Leopard compatible and probably new Sandisk Extreme Pro. (Transfer time is a real issue for me)

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10043-10255

Sonnet
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/produalcfadapterexpress34.html

FWIW I have also posted feedback to Apple re Snow Leopard slow ejection of discs

YES, good.  Where did you report this to Apple?

Everyone who is experiencing slow unmounting, slow copy speed, etc. report these issues to Apple, please.  Hopefully they'll put someone on it to reproduce these issues and solve them once and for all.

-Kirk

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
    • Hotel Resort Photography
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 07:18:41 AM »

YES, good.  Where did you report this to Apple?

Everyone who is experiencing slow unmounting, slow copy speed, etc. report these issues to Apple, please.  Hopefully they'll put someone on it to reproduce these issues and solve them once and for all.
-Kirk

Everyone send bugs/feedback re. Snow Leopard to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

It's such a pain it would be great if we could bump them into doing something to speed it up

I suspect it is slow because the OS does more checks than before to ensure the disc comes to no harm, but it is just a guess

Best

Stephen
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 07:21:32 AM by Hydester »