Author Topic: Code Replacement question  (Read 7703 times)

Offline Melissa Wade

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Code Replacement question
« on: August 31, 2006, 12:25:17 PM »
I created a file that had codes set up for each member of a team in a format appropriate for the caption and then a different code for each player that listed keywords separated by commas. 

The codes used in the caption field work perfectly while the codes meant for the keyword field (not related to the field as I tried the code in the caption field as well) are added with quotation marks around them.

What am I doing wrong?

An unrelated question - when I was using PM on my laptop and would select a number of raw files and choose Edit Photos, I frequently found that they did not all open.  I was definitely running low (but not out) of space on my laptop at the time - could that have caused the problem?  I could not recreate it on my desktop (both Windows XP/PS CS2).

Thanks,
-Melissa

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Code Replacement question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 01:47:40 PM »
Melissa,

I created a file that had codes set up for each member of a team in a format appropriate for the caption and then a different code for each player that listed keywords separated by commas. 

The codes used in the caption field work perfectly while the codes meant for the keyword field (not related to the field as I tried the code in the caption field as well) are added with quotation marks around them.

What am I doing wrong?

Maybe nothing.  What do the entries that have quotes around them look like?  Could you post a few lines from your text file?

Quote from: Melissa Wade
An unrelated question - when I was using PM on my laptop and would select a number of raw files and choose Edit Photos, I frequently found that they did not all open.  I was definitely running low (but not out) of space on my laptop at the time - could that have caused the problem?  I could not recreate it on my desktop (both Windows XP/PS CS2).

Windows doesn't have a really good system of passing files from one application to another.  There is a limit to the length of the "message" that is used.  Perhaps the path to your files on your laptop are deeper (more nested folders) than they are on your desktop.

There is no such limitation on Mac OS X.

-Kirk

Offline Melissa Wade

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 02:34:15 PM »
good

b11    Benn Ferriero 11 of the United States
b16    Nate Gerbe 16 of the United States

bad

kb11  United States, Benn Ferriero, Boston College, Phoenix Coyotes,
kb16  United States, Nate Gerbe, Boston College, Buffalo Sabres,

The good would appear as written; the bad would paste in as:

"United States, Benn Ferriero, Boston College, Phoenix Coyotes,"

I think it may have added an additional comma after the quotation mark which is not a problem, I could just remove the comma from my text.

-

My laptop actually has a simpler setup than my desktop so I don't think that is it.

thanks,
-Melissa

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 05:00:40 PM »
I do this but I consider the second set to the good ones.  The reason is that keywords are separated by comas so I'd think that they are necessary to have all the words as separate keywords rather than one long sentence that is in effect a single long keyword. Or does it work differently?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 02:14:10 PM »
Melissa,

good

bad

I think it may have added an additional comma after the quotation mark which is not a problem, I could just remove the comma from my text.

I tried to reproduce this issue on both Windows XP and on Mac OS X 10.4.7 and I couldn't get either of them to happen.

Could you send me your actual code replacement text file?

Contact me privately for server upload information.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 09:36:56 PM »
good

bad

Melissa sent me her text file and it had quotes around the replacement text.  This was caused by Microsoft Excel which decided that in order to preserve formatting it needed to put the "replacement" column in quotes.

The best tool to use to edit Code Replacement text files is a plain text editor, like NotePad on Windows, or TextWrangler on Mac OS X.  Then you can see exactly how your file is laid out.

Avoid text editors like TextEdit on Mac OS X, or WordPad on Windows that can save in the RTF format which is definitely not a plain text format.  Using these kinds of editors will cause problems.  Of course using even more advanced text editors like Microsoft Word can also be a problem.  Using Microsoft Excel can be a workable solution, but one has to be really careful about which format you use to save out the file Tab-separated value should work fine (just make sure you use only two columns).  Do not use Comma-separated value files, as they won't work correctly.

Simple is better.

HTH,

-Kirk