Author Topic: Slideshow will not run  (Read 404 times)

Offline davidrichard

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Slideshow will not run
« on: February 25, 2024, 03:21:09 PM »
Running Mac Catalina 10.15.7 with Photomechanic 6 6890. I actually have updated to the latest version of PM as well and the same results.
I often run PM Slideshows of my work but today the images don't appear when I start the slideshow. Only the background color appears. I have not changed any settings. Any ideas?
Thanks,
David

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Slideshow will not run
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 04:22:22 PM »
The only fix we know of for this issue is to reset Photo Mechanic's Preferences.

Preferences are stored at the following location:

/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic

Quit Photo Mechanic and then rename this folder by appending something to the end of it. For example, change it to: com.camerabits.PhotoMechanicOLD

Launch Photo Mechanic and test the slideshow.

If it works, the downside is that you now have a fresh set of preferences and it is as if it is the first time you launched Photo Mechanic. If you have important things stored in preferences, they are stored in com.camerabits.PhotoMechanicOLD (or whatever you renamed it to) and I can work with you on how we can retain that important stuff while still fixing the slideshow.

Offline davidrichard

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 09:34:34 PM »
Thank you for that info. I followed the directions and the Slideshow option now works.
So what is the next step to regain my saved preferences - which are many ... lol.
David

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 02:17:36 PM »
Thank you for that info. I followed the directions and the Slideshow option now works.
So what is the next step to regain my saved preferences - which are many ... lol.
David

It's a bit of a manual process. I'll be able to help you quicker with a phone call. Can you call our support line at +1-503-547-2888.

If you need to restore those preferences until you can call (and can live without the slideshow until we can assist), you can get rid of the new default folder it created and then undo the rename that I had you to have it start up with fresh preferences.

Offline Ben McCanna

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 12:41:48 PM »
I'm having the same issue that David had -- slideshow is running the background color and necessitates a force quit; however, I'm not able to find this:

/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic

Where is that on a Mac?

Also, what sorts of things will I lose if I reset my preferences to default? Will I lose the IPTC data I have stored?

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 03:55:48 PM »
Hi Ben,

The Library folder in the path is hidden by default. To access the Library folder, go to the Finder's Go menu. Hold down the Option key and now you will be able to open the Library folder.

Resetting Photo Mechanic's preferences will clear the Favorites panel entries and reset the IPTC Metadata Template, including any field popup list.  All of the IPTC metadata applied to your images will still be present.

Best regards,

--Bob

Offline Ben McCanna

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:04:51 AM »
OMG. It worked, but, man, what a pain in the a** it's going to be to reset all my IPTC data. I wish there had been another way.

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:33:11 PM »
Hi Ben,

Photo Mechanic's Export option from the preferences will save all of the IPTC Metadata Template's popup lists, field contents and Snapshots. Once you have confirmed that the new preferences have fixed the problems you were having with the Slide show, you could Import these settings back into the new preferences.

You can go back to the original preference folder and then use the Export option from the Preferences to create the PM_Export.PMX file. Then switch back to the new preference folder and then Import the preference export .PMX file.

With Photo Mechanic quit, go to the ~/Library/Preferences folder.  Rename the com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder by appending -new to the name. Now remove the date that was appended to the end of the original com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder.

Start Photo Mechanic and it should look like it did before the preference reset. Go to the Preferences and click the Export button. Save the PM_Export.PMX file to the Desktop.  Quit Photo Mechanic.   Rename Photo Mechanic's preference folders back by removing the -new from the fresh one and appending the date to the older one.

Start Photo Mechanic using the new preferences. Go to the Preferences and click the Import button.  Locate the PM_Export.PMX file on the Desktop and Open it. Click the Import button to continue. A Warning message will open next. Click the Yes button to complete the preference settings update. Photo Mechanic should be restarted.  Now you should be all set with the IPTC Metadata Template configuration as well as other settings. The Favorites panel entries are not saved in the Preference Export file.

Best regards,

--Bob