Author Topic: deleting images from cards  (Read 7055 times)

Offline jvvjvv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
deleting images from cards
« on: November 08, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »
After the "scary" warning from the ingest window about auto delete I decided to hand delete.  I soon realized after "sent to trash " that the images no longer showed, but the card would stay full. 

I would delete in PM and finder both...but the camera shows "no images"....but shows that the card if full.....(room for 1 photo  in a 16GB card)

If I re ingest and set auto erase.THEN the card is empty.  How do you manually erase??

Thanks...Jack

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: deleting images from cards
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 02:44:57 PM »
Jack,

After the "scary" warning from the ingest window about auto delete I decided to hand delete.  I soon realized after "sent to trash " that the images no longer showed, but the card would stay full. 

I would delete in PM and finder both...but the camera shows "no images"....but shows that the card if full.....(room for 1 photo  in a 16GB card)

If I re ingest and set auto erase.THEN the card is empty.  How do you manually erase??

Simply format the card once you put it back in your camera.

If you don't want to do that, you must choose Empty Trash from the Finder on your card.  Then the images will really be deleted.

-Kirk

Offline jvvjvv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 04:19:33 PM »
Kirk..thanks for the quick reply.  I do not under stand :

"EmptyTrash from the Finder on your  card"

Jack

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 04:56:41 PM »
Jack,

Kirk..thanks for the quick reply.  I do not understand :

"Empty Trash from the Finder on your card"

In the Finder, from the Finder application menu, choose Empty Trash...

This will delete all items in the Trash for all mounted volumes, including the ones that were on your card but were moved to the Trash.

If you'd rather have PM just delete your images when you tell it to delete instead of moving them to the Trash, open the Files section of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog and uncheck the "Move files to Trash when deleting" checkbox.  If you do this, you won't have to empty the Trash, but you also cannot recover your deleted images since they are deleted immediately when this checkbox is unchecked.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline jvvjvv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 05:51:59 PM »
 Kirk,  thanks again for the quick reply.    Your explanation makes total sense.  So, I am assuming that there is no way to delete the images from the card, keeping them in the trash, so if you ever want to retrieve them?   

I guess you could set up a 2nd destination and use that to hold images in case you ever wanted to get back to them?

I'm switching over from 14 years of PC use, where the card is always deleted after downloading.  Then in culling them, the deleted ones ended up in the trash.   I guess this can be accomplished on the Mac?

Have a nice evening, Jack

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 06:31:56 PM »
Jack,

Kirk,  thanks again for the quick reply.    Your explanation makes total sense.  So, I am assuming that there is no way to delete the images from the card, keeping them in the trash, so if you ever want to retrieve them?   

I guess you could set up a 2nd destination and use that to hold images in case you ever wanted to get back to them?

I'm switching over from 14 years of PC use, where the card is always deleted after downloading.  Then in culling them, the deleted ones ended up in the trash.   I guess this can be accomplished on the Mac?

What we recommend that you do is use Ingest instead and never work directly on the card.  If you want a backup, use the Secondary destination.  Browse your Primary destination and delete images there.  If you accidentally delete an image you didn't intend to delete, you can always retrieve them from the Secondary destination.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 02:25:17 AM »
Jack,
If I may,
My workflow is like this:
1- ingest (choosing a secondary destination for backup purposes);
2- reformat the card in the camera;
3- work with PM and an editing software, in the primary destination;
4-delete files you don`t want to keep, in the primary destination (in PM);
4- generate jpeg files in the primary destination;
5- make a new backup (all the files) in the secondary destination.
Hope this helps,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline jvvjvv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
Luiz...........thanks...some good info there.

Jack