Author Topic: PM v5 Simpleviewer export  (Read 19357 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM v5 Simpleviewer export
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 12:34:20 PM »
Ron,

Thanks Hayo!  While that work, and I learned even more cool stuff about PM, it's not really a workaround.

The real reason I upgraded to PM5 was to get HTML5 galleries.   Regrettably, they don't work.  At least not with Simpleviewer exporter.

I first reported this back in July.  It's unfortunate that it has not been addressed yet.

I generated a SimpleViewer export this afternoon and it looked fine to me.  I used Gallery Style "MODERN" and I was able to change the image size to two different sizes and the exported viewer obeyed my input.

Please post screen shots of your settings and results.  If you have specific crop shapes that don't work, please post a screen shot showing the crop on a thumbnail in the contact sheet.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshots.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 12:45:41 PM »
Kirk,

How do you overcome the Version 5 fifty limit on Simpleviewer?

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 01:16:25 PM »
David,

How do you overcome the Version 5 fifty limit on Simpleviewer?

You have to purchase SimpleViewer-Pro.  The free version has a 50 item limit apparently.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 02:51:53 PM »
Thanks Kirk.

That's not a problem. I'm happy using the existing templates for now but if I purchase it and register it does it run okay straight away or is there any fiddling about to do?

Sorry to trouble you again.
David

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 03:23:20 PM »
Ron,

Please post screen shots of your settings and results.  If you have specific crop shapes that don't work, please post a screen shot showing the crop on a thumbnail in the contact sheet.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshots.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Ok, here you go.... hopefully you can handle PNGs too.

See also the generated result in your web browser... http://galleries.ronhiner.com/temp/camerabits/sv_test_121216/index.html

Thanks for looking into this!  I know you are busy!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »
Ron,

You are seeing the non-flash version of Simple Viewer.  You can see the same effect if you go to the samples on the Simple Viewer site with a mobile device:

http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/examples/modern/

When you turn off Flash, everyone gets the mobile non-flash version that has very few bells and whistles.

Other than the thumbnail issue, it is my understanding that you leave Flash on and mobile users see the HTML5 version and computer users see the much nicer looking Flash version.  Note that PM exports the thumbnails the same way for Flash and non-Flash versions.  It appears that the non-Flash version has problems with non-square thumbnails.

There may be something we can do about the thumbnail issue, but there isn't anything we can do to make the HTML5 version look nicer.  You'd have to talk to the Simple Viewer developer for that.

-Kirk

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 10:19:16 PM »
I'm no expert, so this advice is worth as much as you paid for it :)

The version of Simpleviewer that ships with PM5 is quite old (v2.2 from 2011) the current version is 2.3.1. You could try downloading the latest version and then replacing the old "svcore" folder (located at: /Applications/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/builtin_templates/export/simpleviewer) with the new one. This may provide a fix, or it may cause problems (I haven't tried it) so you may want to hold off in case far more knowledgeable people start screaming "NO!".

Simpleviewer's rollover to HTML5 version for mobile devices is a really nice feature, but it was never intended to provide the same look and functionality as the Flash version.

If HTML5 is really important to you, then I would look at Juicebox from the same people. But you'd obviously lose the ability to use PM to export your galleries directly and would have to use their 'JuiceboxBuilder' app.

It may also be worth asking for advice on their support forums.

As I say, I'm no expert so please tread very carefully.

Cheers,
Tony

NB: I've no links to the Simpleviewer folks, except as a purchaser of their 'Juicebox Pro' product.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 10:20:56 PM by Tony Hall »

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 01:53:06 AM »
Thanks Tony.

All I want to do is turn on the current Simpleviewer and move away from what I am using as I haven't got any time to do anything immediately that might turn out to be complicated.

Thanks for your advice. I might try it a bit later today.
David

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 05:14:07 AM »
Ron,

You are seeing the non-flash version of Simple Viewer.  You can see the same effect if you go to the samples on the Simple Viewer site with a mobile device:

When you turn off Flash, everyone gets the mobile non-flash version that has very few bells and whistles.

Other than the thumbnail issue, it is my understanding that you leave Flash on and mobile users see the HTML5 version and computer users see the much nicer looking Flash version.  Note that PM exports the thumbnails the same way for Flash and non-Flash versions.  It appears that the non-Flash version has problems with non-square thumbnails.

There may be something we can do about the thumbnail issue, but there isn't anything we can do to make the HTML5 version look nicer.  You'd have to talk to the Simple Viewer developer for that.

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk -- just FYI, here is the same gallery with the flash box checked.
http://galleries.ronhiner.com/temp/camerabits/sv_test_121217/index.html

The thumbs don't look any better,  and the index page does show a large image,  but it does respect my max image size.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 06:52:31 AM »
Ron,

Thanks Kirk -- just FYI, here is the same gallery with the flash box checked.
http://galleries.ronhiner.com/temp/camerabits/sv_test_121217/index.html

The thumbs don't look any better,  and the index page does show a large image,  but it does respect my max image size.

The thumbs look as they should for simple viewer (Flash version).  Simple viewer always shows square thumbs, no matter what the shape of the original thumbnail.  It just takes out the central 'square' of the image and crops off the rest.  In order to solve the thumbnail problem on the mobile version, PM would have to do the 'pre-squaring' on its own.

-Kirk