Author Topic: Saving cropped and uncropped photos to be same size  (Read 6564 times)

Offline 318photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Saving cropped and uncropped photos to be same size
« on: September 09, 2012, 11:01:37 PM »
Lets say i want to save all my photos to 3.0 mb i open folder and leave some full frame photos and crop some 7x10 when i do the "save as"and if the first photo is full frame.Then slide the slider bar to 3mb after saving the CROPPED photos are saved small and not 3mp like the full frame

Question 2: same senario as above BUT all photos are cropped i go to "save as" and the slider bar slid far to right as possible will not go to 3mb sometime only barely gets to 1 mb

just wondering what I am doing wrong just want all photos to be  3mb cropped and uncropped

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Saving cropped and uncropped photos to be same size
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 06:33:18 AM »
Are you using Photo Mechanic: Version 5?

If so, you can set the "Limit file size to:" checkbox and enter 3.0 in the field.  Set the JPEG Quality to zero.

All of your images should then come out to about 3 MB in size unless it is impossible to achieve via changing the JPEG quality.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline 318photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 07:38:49 AM »
Kirk,
  Sorry for not putting it in here Iam using  4.6.7  see attachment this is the slider bar that comes  up and I  have all the images in the file cropped but if I leave the first image full size and rest cropped  the slider bar will let me get 3mb which is about in the middle but after i save as the full size or 3mb but the cropped ones are smaller like under 1mb

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 07:44:32 AM by 318photo »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:46:13 AM »
Kirk,
  Sorry for not putting it in here Iam using  4.6.7  see attachment this is the slider bar that comes  up and I  have all the images in the file cropped but if I leave the first image full size and rest cropped  the slider bar will let me get 3mb which is about in the middle but after i save as the full size or 3mb but the cropped ones are smaller like under 1mb

That's to be expected.  Your cropped images have fewer pixels and given the same JPEG quality will almost always be a smaller size.  If you want to be able to enforce a final file size, then you'll need to upgrade to Photo Mechanic: Version 5.

-Kirk

Offline 318photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 07:53:37 AM »
So version 5 I can get 3mb when saving cropped and uncropped images when i go to" save as".  Is upgrade avail for my version or have to but full verion 
Thanks
D

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 08:04:37 AM »
So version 5 I can get 3mb when saving cropped and uncropped images when i go to" save as"?

Yes, within reason.  For instance if you crop an image significantly and set the output size to 3.0 MB it may not be possible for the file to be that large.  There are limits.  The "Limit file size to" feature can only set the JPEG quality as high as 100.  If that still does not produce a 3 MB file then it just can't be done.

Quote from: 318photo
Is upgrade avail for my version or have to buy full version?

You should be eligible for an upgrade price since it sounds like you own a license of PM 4.6 already.

-Kirk