Author Topic: Automating Metadata Sync Between Files?  (Read 5470 times)

Offline ccclapp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Automating Metadata Sync Between Files?
« on: January 06, 2016, 01:50:25 PM »
Hi

Does anyone know:

#1 If I have 4 files with the same base name (excluding extension) eg a xyz.raw, xyz.jpg, xyz.tif and xyz.psd (and a XML sidecar file for the raw xyz.xmp), can I sync (copy/paste, etc) specific metadata fields from one "source" file to the other 3 "target" files?  I don't want to sync all IPCT, just some specific fields. If so how?

#2 If so, is there a way to this in bulk, i.e send an instruction to a batch of 1,000 files, consisting of 250 groups of 4 identically named base files with 4 different extensions, such that in all of the 250 cases the jpg file, for example, will sync with its other 3 sister files?  Im expecting to hear "no" but thought Id ask.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Automating Metadata Sync Between Files?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:38:44 PM »
#1 If I have 4 files with the same base name (excluding extension) eg a xyz.raw, xyz.jpg, xyz.tif and xyz.psd (and a XML sidecar file for the raw xyz.xmp), can I sync (copy/paste, etc) specific metadata fields from one "source" file to the other 3 "target" files?  I don't want to sync all IPCT, just some specific fields. If so how?

This is not possible with PM.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 10:45:10 PM »
If you want to do these types of specific and complex metadata manipulation, have a look at Phil Harvey's exiftool. It can do everything you want (from the command line).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline ccclapp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 11:00:46 PM »
If you want to do these types of specific and complex metadata manipulation, have a look at Phil Harvey's exiftool. It can do everything you want (from the command line).

Hi Hayo. 

Yes, I am learning about exiftool.  I have also found some LR plugins that cold help.  I dont do much command line and have found some UI for exiftool, but still need to understand the basic coding/scripting to do some of what i want.  Possibly you know about this and could point me in the right direction??  Do you know if it is possible to use it to populate a field with the children of a specific keyword parent, specifically names, which are children of my People KW parent, eg if a file is tagged with People|Tom, People|Jane, can I populate a field with "Tom, Jane"?  If so, do you know where I would find documentation relating to children of a specific KW parent?

Thanks!!

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 05:02:29 AM »
I was going to suggest the exiftool forum for this question, but I see you already found it ;D
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl