Author Topic: Capture Time  (Read 3249 times)

Offline rienvanham

• View Profile
Capture Time
« on: November 15, 2020, 01:08:28 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Perhaps a stupid question but is "Capture Time" different then "Event and Location - Time and Date"? I ask this because I use the Capture Date/Time in filenaming. If I change the "Time and Date" then this isn't reflected in the filename. If I first change the "Time and Date" and then use Tools->Adjust Capture Dates and Times the new time isn't reflected.

If these are different times: where can I change the Capture Time in the the infopanel (I on photo)?

---
later:

I did some investigation and I think there is a bug present:
1: Change the Date/Time in "Adjust Capture Dates and Times" with e.g. 1 second;
2: Look in the infopanel (I on photo): the time is adjusted!

Now the other way round:
1: Change the Date/Time in the infopanel (I on photo) with e.g. 1 second;
2: Verify the new time in "Adjust Capture Dates and Times". eh? The time isn't updated.

So I see now in the photo (I on photo) 08:21:22 as time and 08:21:21 in "Adjust Capture Dates and Times"

Thanks in advance!
Rien van Ham
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:24:45 AM by rienvanham »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Capture Time
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 06:21:13 AM »
Rien,

Perhaps a stupid question but is "Capture Time" different then "Event and Location - Time and Date"? I ask this because I use the Capture Date/Time in filenaming. If I change the "Time and Date" then this isn't reflected in the filename. If I first change the "Time and Date" and then use Tools->Adjust Capture Dates and Times the new time isn't reflected.

If these are different times: where can I change the Capture Time in the the infopanel (I on photo)?

---
later:

I did some investigation and I think there is a bug present:
1: Change the Date/Time in "Adjust Capture Dates and Times" with e.g. 1 second;
2: Look in the infopanel (I on photo): the time is adjusted!

Now the other way round:
1: Change the Date/Time in the infopanel (I on photo) with e.g. 1 second;
2: Verify the new time in "Adjust Capture Dates and Times". eh? The time isn't updated.

So I see now in the photo (I on photo) 08:21:22 as time and 08:21:21 in "Adjust Capture Dates and Times"

The Capture Time is a different field than the one you can edit in Metadata Info dialog.  It can only be edited in Photo Mechanic via the Adjust Capture Dates and Times tool.  It cannot be changed from the Metadata Info dialog.

-Kirk

Offline rienvanham

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 09:13:39 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Strange.... if it are 2 different times... Why does it reflect if I change the time by "Adjust Capture Dates and Times"? Then in infopanel the new time is shown.

So, it is changed one way and not the other way. That is not correct in my opnion. Both ways or none.

Cheers,

Rien.

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 02:44:48 PM »
Capture Time is an EXIF field created by your camera when you take the photo and is normally only changed if you discover your camera's date/time was wrong when you took the photo.

The other fields are IPTC fields that can be entered manually to identify particular details about the content of your photo.

These two fields have two very different purposes.

I hope that helps you understand why they are changed in two very different ways.

Offline rienvanham

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 01:38:13 AM »
Yes, I understand that these are different times. But my question was: If I change the time by "Adjust Capture Dates and Times" why is this reflected in the "IPTC"-field.

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 04:53:00 AM »
Yes, I understand that these are different times. But my question was: If I change the time by "Adjust Capture Dates and Times" why is this reflected in the "IPTC"-field.

Did you disable this checkbox ?
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/

Offline rienvanham

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 07:15:25 AM »
No, I didn't do that..... I must have overseen that. Sorry and thanks!